Police Beat

A man was served an exclusionary order as requested by the UA Main Library staff Jan. 29.

An officer was called to the library, 1510 E. University Blvd., because a non-student was hiding in the building after hours.

The officer met with an employee and the man at the entrance. The employee said she found the man hiding in the bathroom on the fourth floor at 2:30 a.m. The man had no driver’s license or identification.

He was asked if he knew about the 1 a.m. closing policy, and he said he did. The officer asked him why he had not left, and he said he did not know what time it was, and that he did not leave at 1 a.m. because he had to use the bathroom.

The employee said she had more than 30 encounters with the man since the beginning of the fall semester. The man said she was the only employee who had a problem with him; the other employees let him stay because he did not bother anyone.

The employee said he would argue with her when she asked him to leave, and he would just hide in the bathrooms so he would not have to leave.

The man was giving an exclusionary order.

The same man was involved in other incidents, such as showering in the men’s locker room in Bear Down Gym, 1428 E. University Blvd., Dec. 15 and other trespassing occurrences.

A beige Gucci purse was found on top of a car at East Drachman Street and North Vine Street on Jan. 29.

A Parking and Transportation Services employee turned the purse in. The employee did not get the license plate number of the car on which the purse was found, and there was no identification in the purse, although there were checks from Wells Fargo Bank.

The officer contacted Wells Fargo and gave them the account number, and the bank plans to contact the owner of the purse.

The purse was put into property and evidence.

An officer was dispatched to the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., for a woman being harassed by a man.

There the officer met with the woman, who said she dated the man for three months before she ended things Dec. 29.

Immediately after she broke up with him, the man continued to call and send text messages to the woman, who asked him to stop.

Starting Jan. 23, the man’s calls and messages increased to about 50 a day. Some of the man’s messages threatened suicide.

The woman said she did not respond to any of the calls or messages.

On Jan. 29, the man came to her off-campus apartment and she let him in to talk.

After about five minutes she asked him to leave and he refused. She picked up her phone to call the police, and he grabbed her phone from her hands and threw it against the wall.

She was scared he was going to hurt her, so she tried to leave the apartment; he physically blocked the doorway.

After about 45 minutes the man left the apartment, but he stayed outside and pounded on her window for about an hour before leaving.

The woman said she was not injured and there was no damage to her belongings.

The same day she was inside her apartment and she saw him watching her through her window. She called a friend to come to her apartment and walk with her to campus.

When she entered the tunnel on North Warren Avenue, the man rode up to her on his bike and attempted to talk to her. She told him to leave her alone and continued to walk onto campus.

He continued to follow her until they arrived at the student union.

When she called the University of Arizona Police Department, the man left on his bike.

She did not wish to press criminal charges but requested documentation of the incident and that a copy of the report be sent to the Dean of Students Office. She said she was going to get a restraining order against him.

The same day, an officer spoke with the man at the UA Main Library. According to reports, the man said, “”I made a mistake and have to learn it’s over with her. We were going to get married.””

When the officer asked if the man wanted to hurt himself, he said, “”No, I was just upset when I said that.””

He declined an offer of medical assistance from the Campus Health Service.

A records check showed the man had a misdemeanor warrant issued by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office for underage drinking in 1996.

The man was arrested for the warrant and transported to Pima County Jail.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.