‘Love Speaks’ tour comes to Tucson

Singer/songwriter Brett Dennen will play at Club Congress tomorrow for a variety of Tucson organizations including No More Deaths. Thats just one reason those guys should turn up the air conditioning.
    Singer/songwriter Brett Dennen will play at Club Congress tomorrow for a variety of Tucson organizations including No More Deaths. That’s just one reason those guys should turn up the air conditioning.

On the last leg of his tour, rising indie singer/songwriter Brett Dennen will be playing for the first time in Tucson tomorrow.

The 25-year-old’s tour, “”Love Speaks,”” will bring him to town in a partnership with nonprofit organizations like Tucson Clean & Beautiful and No More Deaths. He has been touring the country since January and has handpicked two to three local, national and international nonprofits for each city he hits on the tour.

According to his Web site, $1 from every ticket will go toward the nonprofits that are a part of the concert. In addition, the groups will set up tables with their information and will give a short speech of who they are and what they’re doing before the concert begins.

“”I just wanted my concerts to be something more than just a concert,”” Dennen said. “”I wanted a mini-festival. Music is a good way to get people together and inspire them to do something.””

Dennen researched organizations online and sent out e-mails stating what he was doing. He said he looked for a variety of issues ðð- anybody who was “”bringing something positive in the world.””

“”Music should be used more often for rallying people around a cause,”” Dennen said.

He also wants his music to be put to good use more often and hopes more artists will think of connecting causes and education of issues with music.

“”I hope they (the audience) learn a little about the nonprofit and what they do,”” Dennen said. “”They’ll learn that my music is meant to help make a difference in the world. Hopefully they’ll think of that, every time people hear my music.””

Dennen, who hails from Oakdale, Calif., has worked for several nonprofits in Oakland, Santa Cruz and Modesto, Calif., including the YMCA, a nonprofit natural history museum and a company that provides assistance to families with diseased children.

In terms of his music, Dennen’s latest album, So Much More, has been compared to the likes of Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews and Bob Dylan. He has also been featured on TV shows like “”Men in Trees”” and “”Grey’s Anatomy.””

“”I describe my music as like a good talk with an old friend,”” Dennen said. “”It’s like comforting, you learn something about each other; you learn something about yourself.””

Dennen has been playing guitar since the age of 12 and “”has been chugging along ever since.”” Two of his main influences are Paul Simon and Joni Mitchell.

One of his biggest fans is John Mayer, whom Dennen will be going on tour with for 10 shows this year. When Dennen found out about his famous fan, he said he was “”totally flattered,”” but it doesn’t change the way he thinks about his music.

“”I don’t know how much it will make my music more popular,”” Dennen said. “”It’s encouraging to keep on doing what I’m doing. It’ll open more people’s ears to me, whether they like (my music) or not.””

Dennen will be playing at Club Congress tomorrow. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $9 in advance and $10 at the doors.