Police Beat: June 8

High speeds not permit-ed

A University of Arizona Police Department officer observed a red car driving at 75 mph on May 23 in a posted 35 mph zone on Euclid Avenue. The officer stopped the vehicle and made contact with the driver, who identified herself with her Arizona driver’s permit. The driver was required by law to have a licensed driver in the vehicle with her as she only had a permit. The driver was cited and released at the scene under the condition she not drive unless a licensed driver accompanied her.

Thief removes locks, then leaves

A UA Facilities Management storage shed was broken into between the dates of May 23 and June 2. There are currently no suspects or witnesses and nothing appeared to be missing. An employee stated he found the doors to the storage shed open and later realized the door had been broken. The two locks that secured the door were hanging in a nearby tree, intact, he said. The UAPD officer that responded determined that the door was old and that it could have easily been removed without tools.

Don’t talk and shop

A UAPD officer responded to a UofA Bookstore call about a shoplifter in custody. The officer met with an employee, who had detained a man for shoplifting a $17.95 notebook. “”All I did was forget the book was in my papers,”” the man told the officer. He added that he was on the phone with his daughter while in the store and forgot he was holding the notebook. Video footage showed the man placing the notebook between a stack of papers he was carrying and later put it under his arm as he was paying for other items. The man said he had money to pay for it and he did not come into the store with the intent of shoplifting.

What’s Spanish for ‘My bike got stolen’?

A UA student reported to UAPD on June 2 that her royal blue Huffy bicycle had been stolen from the bicycle racks on the western side of the Modern Languages building. The student stated she had locked her bike in the rack the day before around 9 a.m. and both the bike and the chain lock were gone when she returned on June 2 at 3:50 p.m. She did not know the serial number. There is no suspect or witness information at this time.

One beer, too many

A UAPD officer pulled over a vehicle for excessive speed on May 27 at approximately 2 a.m. The officer noticed the car drifting into the right lane on two occasions after passing through the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Speedway Boulevard. When the officer made contact with the driver, he could smell alcohol coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having one beer earlier and spoke with slurred speech. The driver agreed to field sobriety tests and a portable breath test. He was arrested for driving under the influence and for driving with a suspended license. The vehicle was towed and the driver was released to Discount Cab.