Sex and the (univer)City

They’re the singletons, the “”parties of one,”” the soloists.

The endless girls’ nights out and hours spent playing Celine Dion’s “”All By Myself”” on repeat can get tiresome, many agree.

The single girl in search of her Mr. Big spends what seems like a million nights out with “”just the girls”” and listens to songs like “”Love Song for No One”” by John Mayer. And don’t forget Celine – she knows just how we feel.

When the writers of “”Sex and the City”” created Carrie Bradshaw’s Mr. Big, they created the ultimate man, according to many.

Of course, he wasn’t ultimate until the end of the series when he actually went after Carrie in Paris.

But where is this “”Big”” in real life? Why can’t everyone have one? Does a man like him even exist, especially on a college campus?

“”Sex and the City”” features four very different women with very different views on men.

Carrie, the smart, witty, stylish one, ends up with the man who actually hurt her the most.

Charlotte is the proper princess who ends up with the one she never thought she could love. He’s bald and round, and she’s fit and, well, not bald.

Samantha, never one to pass up a one-night-stand with the media’s hottest hunk, actually ends up with someone. Who would have thought?

And then there’s Miranda, the mommy. No one ever wants to be the Miranda, and if you’ve seen the show, you know why.

“”I think I am little bit of Carrie and a little bit of Charlotte,”” said Kaitlyn Newman, a communications junior. “”Sometimes I can be very conventional, like I won’t have sex with a guy to just have sex. But sometimes, I’m around a guy that’s into me and I just want to go crazy with him.””

Carla Wirtschafter, a history junior, is like a lot of women today: She’s smart and knows what she wants.

“”I feel like I’m most like Carrie. I’m totally independent and content with myself and being by myself, but I feel like something is missing,”” she said. “”I want to have someone, but I don’t need someone.””

But really, what is it with everyone wanting a boyfriend right now? We’re only in college, so what’s the rush?

“”I think its because we feel pressure to find someone – like I know I feel like if someone in college doesn’t want to be with me, why would anyone ever want to be with me, and then I freak out that I’ll never get married,”” Wirtschafter said.

“”It sounds a little melodramatic, but when so many other people seem to have someone it makes me feel like there must be something wrong with me, like why am I not good enough to have a boyfriend and someone else is?”” she added.

While female students may not know for sure what guys want, some claim they can guess based on what they see.

“”Guys are looking for a piece of ass,”” said engineering junior Jessica Dunn. “”While this may not be true for a lot of guys, that’s the impression I get from being surrounded by what seems like thousands of blonde, skinny sorority girls and asshole frat guys. I don’t think most single guys are looking for a relationship when most single girls are.””

With the recent release of such movies as “”Sex and the City”” and even “”The Notebook”” of yesteryear, millions of young women see these movies and try to put themselves in the shoes of the leading female roles.

Indulging in such fantasy worlds, though, can seem daunting when applied to real life. Finding someone like Mr. Big or Tom Hanks’ character in “”Sleepless in Seattle”” seems impossible to many young women. In fact, some have even resorted to changing the way they act or look in order to catch the attention of unsuspecting guys.

“”I think the craziest thing I’ve done to get a guy’s attention is hook up with another guy,”” said Danielle Brynan, a journalism sophomore. “”I don’t suggest you try it.””

“”I was at a party, and my friend and I saw this cute Dutch guy walking around when we got there,”” Dunn said. “”At the end of the night, I was already pretty drunk and the Dutch guy wanted to take shots with me!

“”I did it even though I knew that it wasn’t a good idea due to the rule ‘beer before liquor, never sicker.’ Sure enough, I have never thrown up so much in my life.””

Others take a less sickening approach, wearing more makeup than usual or simply laughing really loud just to grab a guy’s attention.

“”I feel like I try to look like I’m always having fun so that guys will be like, ‘She must be awesome. I want to get to know her,’ “” Wirtschafter said.

This idea of finding Mr. Right causes the singletons to have a lot of similar thought processes about how to find that special guy. Or just a guy, whichever comes first, as seeing couples on campus can stir up some jealous and sometimes angry feelings.

“”Sometimes I want to punch couples in the face and run away laughing,”” Dunn said.

Surprisingly, Newman said, it doesn’t bother her as much.

“”Most of the time when I see couples walking around campus holding hands, they are usually really ugly,”” she said. “”I know that sounds bad.””

“”But seeing that doesn’t make me feel bad about myself,”” Newman added.

It’s a common thought that simply walking around campus can conjure up thoughts about guys that walk by.

“”I definitely check out the guys I walk past when I’m walking around – think about how I would look walking with them,”” Dunn said.

“”I’ll see a cute guy on campus and wonder what he’s like,”” Wirtschafter said. “”Maybe he’s the boy I need to meet this weekend.””

As young women reach college age, they become more aware of their relationship surroundings, causing a romantic urge that is reflected in students by characters from such films as “”Sex and the City,”” Dunn said.

“”I think girls our age are so obsessed with getting a boyfriend because, one, a lot of girls our age actually have boyfriends,”” she said. “”And no one wants to be left out of the relationship club,”” Dunn said.