Letter from the editor: The Wildcat is changing and it’s all about you

For many students, the start of a new semester brings excitement and nerves, an eagerness to start something new and the desire for some independence and stability. The Daily Wildcat is going through a similar process. Although the Wildcat is more than a century old, we’re still growing. Every semester, thousands of new students pour onto campus and our newsroom fills with more reporters, photographers, editors and video producers, bringing in more diverse voices than ever. Each semester can feel like freshman year all over again, but thankfully over the years we’ve learned the importance of embracing change and evolving alongside society and campus culture.

In 2015, we placed digital news production at the forefront of our operation. We went from five print issues a week to three. This was a decision not made because of finances, but with you, the reader, in mind. Wildcat staffers work seven days a week to ensure quality and up-to-date news is available on our website, via social here in our print edition and through new ways we haven’t even thought of yet.

Let’s face it, the environment of journalism is still changing. It’s no secret that public confidence in journalism is low and that, nationally, media ethics are being questioned every day. There always seems to be a race to break news first, but here at the Wildcat, we don’t mind being second, as long as the final story is accurate and fair. The reality is that the majority of people want to be as up to date as possible and have the convenience of that anywhere at anytime. This is where the ability to read news online through apps, websites and social media is great.

The Wildcat wants to always strive to better serve our readers and audience. We never want to run away from critics or stick with the same routine just because it’s familiar or easier. We always want to tackle change head-on, and that’s exactly what we’re doing this semester.

The Daily Wildcat is now producing only one print issue every week. Cutting back from three print issues a week to one allows us to focus on our digital products and bring you even more interactive content, while ensuring this print newspaper offers engaging and relevant stories for the UA community. Normally our print editions will be distributed every Wednesday, but our first issue is coming out on a Monday because we wanted you to have a Wildcat in hand on the first day of school.

I know for some this may be your first time even picking up the Wildcat and for others you may be a dedicated reader. Either way, we are excited for this new change and will embrace what ever challenges are to come. We have spent countless hours preparing for this transition and determining what exactly we can offer the University of Arizona and Tucson communities.

Seven days a week, rain or shine, we hope you engage with sports, arts, science, opinions and news content on our app or at Dailywildcat.com. We’re also working to offer more multimedia and interactive elements for our readers to compliment your typical print story. Don’t worry though, our weekly print issue can be picked up around campus and Tucson every Wednesday. We will also continue to have special issues throughout the year; our first, the annual UA Football Preview Edition, will come out Aug. 30.

Our newsroom is also expanding our collaborative efforts with KAMP Student Radio and UATV3, the student broadcast channel, to bring you more packaged content. Arizona Student Media is constantly working toward providing an inclusive environment where everyone and anyone is welcome.

This will be my fourth year working with Arizona Student Media, and it’s one of the best choices I’ve ever made. I’ve watched the paper transform in the last three years to keep up in the current media landscape. Student media is a great way to get involved on campus and stay informed, so if you’re interested in a fun learning experience and want to help with the transition, you’re always welcome to head over to our newsroom in the Park Student Union or email editor@dailywildcat.com.

The Daily Wildcat is turning a new page this year, and we’re looking forward to not only bringing all of our readers along for the ride, but putting you and your needs in the driver’s seat. We hope you all are as excited as us to see more digital content, better print editions and increased engagement with our audience. It’s only the first week and we have a long way to go ‘til finals. Just remember, Bear Down and read the Wildcat.

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter