In search of a good book? The Arts and Life staff has you covered

First-edition book cover for Christine by Stephen King. Christine chronicles the tale of a supernatural car that haunts its teenage owner.
    Viking
    First-edition book cover for “Christine” by Stephen King. “Christine” chronicles the tale of a supernatural car that haunts its teenage owner.

Looking for your next book to enjoy? The Arts and Life desk has got your back. Check out which literary endeavors are worth investing your time in:

Kincaid Rabb - Arts Reporter: “Letter to My Daughter” by Maya Angelou

One of legendary poet-laureate Maya Angelou’s last works, “Letter to My Daughter” is a collection of poems, stories, songs and parables about living life with happiness and pride. One of my personal favorite books, “Letter to My Daughter” provides the advice I need to hear. Heartwarming and philosophical, Angelou paints a picture of the world around her through the lens of all her amazing experiences. I hope to live half as fully as she did.

Ernie Fierro – Arts Reporter: “The Lucifer Effect” by Philip Zimbardo

Regarded as one of the most popular readings in the psychology field, Zimbardo’s “The Lucifer Effect” examines the reasoning behind malicious and deviant behavior. Based largely on the Stanford prison experiment of 1971, Zimbardo argues that situational forces are the driving mechanisms behind heinous acts. If you find yourself drawn to understanding human transformation, then “The Lucifer Effect” is a book you’ll want to read.

Taylor Brestel – Arts Reporter: Textbooks

You paid $200 for them and for that price, you’d expect them to be an amazing read.

Alex Furrier – Arts and Life Editor: “Flowers for Algernon” by Daniel Keyes

Few books will change the way you view the world like “Flowers for Algernon.” This novel is written from the perspective of a mentally challenged man, Charlie Gordon, who journals his experience of gaining and losing genius level intelligence. Particularly relevant during college years spent in the pursuit of higher learning, this book will redefine your views of intelligence. Imbuing empathy through heartbreak, “Flowers for Algernon” is a story that every person would benefit from reading. Holy smokes, Charlie Gordon.

Mariel Bustamante – Arts Reporter: “This is How You Lose Her“ by Junot Díaz

Junot Díaz is a modern, influential writer. With a Dominican Republican influence, he incorporates his culture and language into all of his texts, making them more personal. This book is composed of short stories that will make your heart break, tears flow and laughs roar.

Alec Kuehnle – Arts Reporter: “East of Eden” by John Steinbeck

Can’t forget about the classics. It’s always a good time for some Steinbeck. It’s a pretty lengthy read, but definitely worth it.

Casey Aldava – Arts Reporter: “Let the Great World Spin” by Colum McCann

If you like post-modern novels about life, death and the search to find meaning in both, this is your read. It keeps things interesting with multiple, interconnected storylines that center around one main event.

Victoria Pereira – Senior Reporter: “Christine” by Stephen King

If you’re looking for a book that will make your heart beat out of your chest and is impossible to put down, look no further than King’s works. He’s a master of horror and his novel about a murderous car and the effect it has on its teenage owner will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Alex Guyton – Senior Reporter, Videographer : “Meditations” by Marcus Aurelius

The lucid, personal thoughts of the Roman emperor reverberate with strength nearly two millennia after he wrote them. Filled with aphorisms and anecdotes from the everyday life of a ruler of one of the greatest world powers in history, this book clears and organizes the mind with its unaffected prose and ideals.

Follow the Daily Wildact on Twitter.