Deputies find 268 pot plants; West Leyden man charged

WEST LEYDEN – Lewis County sheriff’s deputies on Sunday discovered 268 marijuana plants at a town of Lewis residence after responding to a reported domestic dispute there.

Deputies charged John S. Cullings, 23, of 1208 Freeman Road, with unlawful growing of marijuana, fourth-degree criminal possession of marijuana, unlawful possession of marijuana and endangering the welfare of a child in connection with the discovery.

He was additionally charged with criminal obstruction of breathing, second-degree harassment and fourth-degree criminal mischief stemming from an apparent domestic dispute at the residence reported by the alleged victim, Shyann Farr, about 3:30 a.m.

All charges are answerable in Lewis Town Court.

Deputies said that when they arrived at the Freeman Road residence, Ms. Farr informed them that Mr. Cullings had already left. While searching for him around the home, deputies said they noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from an adjacent shed.

Ms. Farr denied police access to the shed, deputies said, but they obtained a search warrant from West Turin Town Court and seized 268 marijuana plants ranging in height from one inch to 23 inches, along with marijuana-growing gear, various smoking devices and four long guns.

Deputies were assisted at the scene by the Lowville Police Sgt. James M. Monnat and his dog, Agar.