Mysterious duo CocoRosie heads to the Rialto

CocoRosie is one of those bands whose mysterious and eclectic sound leaves listeners curious, to say the least. And with such a wide-ranging mix of instruments, including a harp, children’s toys and pretty much anything these musicians can get their hands on, the sibling duo is sure to deliver an interesting show in Tucson on Sunday, Oct. 3, 2010 at the Rialto Theatre.

CocoRosie has released four albums since joining forces in Paris in 2003, and each album has a unique aesthetic that definitely developed into a signature group sound. Traditional instrumentation, such as acoustic and voice or piano and voice, suddenly becomes disjointed through the sampling of vampy, electronic sounds.

Their first album, La Maison de Mon Reve, stands out as one of the most accessible, with the two sisters singing more acoustic songs with sporadic sampling, often using sounds like a toy dinosaur or the jingling of coins as percussive instruments. Their newest album, Grey Oceans, is a little more rhythmic-based, with diversity in instrumentation, and more songs based off the construction of an electronic beat with sampling and vocals layered on top.

To the casual listener, CocoRosie might seem intimidating. The music is experimental and unique — there’s not a lot to compare this band to. Yet Sierra and Bianca Casady’s crooning voices and their creative vision have the uncanny ability to keep you listening — even when their sound can be puzzling. Yet out of this complicated sound cloud comes something sweetly harmonious and oddly satisfying.