Get jacked, Wildcat style

Jen Pimentel
    The outside main entrance of Wilcat Crossfit, located at 300 S. Park Ave.

CrossFit is the nothing less than intense. For those looking for a program to kick you into gear and tone your body, the sport should be right up your alley.

One of the closest CrossFit programs to campus that is within walking distance is called Wildcat CrossFit. The vibe of the overall place is very chill and seems very relaxed. The vintage exterior does not show what the gym has to offer inside.

Noah Providence is the owner and a coach at Wildcat CrossFit, located at 300 S. Park Ave. Wildcat CrossFit got its name because while Providence was growing up, both his parents worked for the UA, and he grew up attending all the sporting events here.

When asked why he started the gym, he said he was an athlete all his life, including college sports, and was done with the middle-age gym thing.

“I was looking for something more effective,” Providence said. “I found CrossFit online in 2007. I started doing the workouts and [it] transformed my body.”

Providence fell in love with the CrossFit mythology and effectiveness. He then decided to become certified for CrossFit and personal training on top of his degree in adult education and opened his own small gym.

After being at the small gym for a year, he decided to relocate to the warehouse the program is currently housed in and has owned it for six years..

When asked what makes this gym different than others, he said, their “quality of programming and coaching and the fun and supportive environment.”

John Goordman is an athlete at Wildcat CrossFit who enjoys the atmosphere the facility offers guests.

“I like the vibe and I checked out a couple of places and this is what I settled on,” Goordman said.

Goordman encourages others to join this gym if they are looking for a very good overall workout experience. When asked about his favorite CrossFit workouts, Goordman said, “All of them. Some of them I hate and then after I love them.”

Claudia McDowell, another athlete at Wildcat CrossFit, she said she came to this gym because her daughter went there and loved it.

McDowell said she liked the atmosphere, coaches and schedules Wildcat CrossFit had to offer her. Her favorite workout is weight lifting, specifically front or back squatting.

This gym sees a total of 80 athletes a day, and has a flexible schedule to accommodate anyone’s busy schedule. 

Follow Kelsey Ropte on Twitter.