Talking Points

“”There seem to be more people hovering around me. That’s for sure.””
    – President-elect Obama, in his “”60 Minutes””
    interview, on what has changed since he won the
    presidential election, Nov. 16, 2008

“”It appears that you seem to be flying a $700 billion plane by the seat of your pants.””
    -ÿRep. Gary Ackerman, D-N.Y., to Treasury
    Secretary Henry Paulson, Nov. 18, 2008

“”My hope is that he becomes a Democrat again.””
    – Sen. Dianne Feinstein on fellow senator
    Joe Lieberman, Nov. 18, 2008

“”I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s one before we leave, but it’s just as possible that there might not be any.””
    – White House spokeswoman Dana Perino on whether President Bush will hold a final
    press conference, Nov. 18, 2008

“”I sit there and I’ll look back and I’m like, ‘I’m a smart person. Like, what the hell was I thinkin’?'””
    -ÿsinger Britney Spears in a new MTV
    documentary, quoted on foxnews.com, Nov. 18, 2008

“”I think that she is going to be a significant player. But she’s going to be one of 20 or 30 significant players. She’s not going to be the de facto leader,””
    – former Republican House Speaker Newt
    Gingrich on Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Nov. 17, 2008

“”When I spoke to you last year, the Phoenix Lander was streaking through space and our fingers were crossed, hoping it could make a soft landing on a distant, alien surface. … What a triumph, what a point of pride for all of us who are part of a university that can make something like that happen.””
    – UA President Robert Shelton, second State of the University address, Nov. 13, 2008

“”Where is the evidence of the supposed partisan wrangling that we hear so much about? Just examine the question dispassionately. Look at every major Bush initiative, every controversial signature Bush policy over the last eight years, and one finds virtually nothing but massive bipartisan support for them – the Patriot Act (original enactment and its renewal); the invasion of Afghanistan; the attack on, and ongoing occupation of, Iraq; the Military Commissions Act (authorizing enhanced interrogation techniques, abolishing habeas corpus and immunizing war criminals); expansions of warrantless eavesdropping and telecom immunity; declaring part of Iran’s government to be ‘terrorists’; our one-sided policy toward Israel; the $700 billion bailout; the No Child Left Behind Act, ‘bankruptcy reform,’ and on and on.””
    – Glenn Greenwald, salon.com, Nov. 18, 2008

“”The rehabilitation of conservatism cannot begin until conservatives are candid about their complicity in what government has become.””
    – columnist George F. Will, Nov. 16, 2008

“”Those of you who have followed my career know that I’m a free-market person.””
    -ÿPresident George W. Bush, Nov. 15, 2008

“”I don’t see why a commitment to free markets requires permitting banks or bank-like institutions to leverage their assets at 30-to-1. There’s nothing conservative about letting free markets degenerate into something close to Karl Marx’s vision of an atomizing, irresponsible and self-devouring capitalism.””
    – William Kristol, The New York Times,
    Nov. 17, 2008

“”It’s kind of like Wasilla, Alaska, except that it’s different.””
    – William Ayers, former member of the radical ’60s group, the Weathermen, on the
    neighborhood of Hyde Park

“”That’s what I heard. I don’t know what the motivation was behind that. I remember it was something really vulgar – I mean, shockingly so, like, ‘Whoa, what, who are you?'””
    – Scarlett Johansson, on a rumor that Lindsay Lohan wrote a rude comment about
    her on a bathroom stall, Nov. 18, 2008

“”(Arizona Students’ Association) is committed to fighting for affordability, because we believe that higher education in the state of Arizona should be as nearly free as possible.””
    – ASA vice chair Kendal Nystedt, quoted in the
    Arizona Daily Wildcat, Nov. 18, 2008