‘Dress’ to impress

Summer weather is creeping in on Tucson and that means one thing: dresses! Many women (and perhaps men, but we didn’t see any) choose this loose fitting clothing item for its breathability and cool comfort. There’s nothing like the feeling of bare legs and a cool breeze blowing on your underside during the hot Arizona weather.

photos by Andrew Russell

Kacie Channell, a pre-business freshman, dressed in a hurry this morning.

“”I usually wear dresses because it’s so hot,”” Channell said.

With a dress from her friend’s boutique Bombshell in southern California, Steve Madden sandles, a Coach purse and a necklace from a boutique in Laguna Beach, Calif., it’s apparent that she is a fan of unique clothing.

“”At least half of my clothes are from boutiques in California.””

Allister Rutter, a freshman majoring in creative writing and English literature, innovatively wore her long skirt as a dress in the spirit of summer. She prefers to shop at thrift stores and Target for their low prices, but she admits to splurging on shoes. The most she has ever paid for shoes is $60.

The shoes she wore today were a gift from a friend. Her earrings are from World Trade Market, one of her favorite stores because they have unique items.

Davina Wagner, an undeclared sophomore, threw on this outfit because it was easy.

“”My style is usually more about comfort,”” Wagner said.

Indeed her brown jersey dress and sandles looked very soft and comfortable matched with bangles and an elephant necklace. She usually shops at Forever 21.

Lori LeChien,an interdisciplinary studies junior, acquires most of her clothes from thrift stores or as gifts.

“”I get anxiety at malls with all those overpriced things saying ‘buy me,'”” LeChien said.

She prefers wearing unique clothing, which includes the dress she is wearing that she borrowed from her roommate. Her sparkly gold leggings add a touch of flash under the dress.

“”I’ve been wearing these pants for a week. I’ll probably be wearing them for another week.””