Brickman: bringing the romance to centennial

Jim Brickman’s concert, “”An Evening of Romance,”” will mark the start of a perfect romantic evening – only it will happen two days before Valentine’s Day.

Brickman, who has played the piano since the age of 4, is celebrating his 15th year in the music business since the launch of his first album, “”No Words,”” in 1994. His talent places him in the same tier of such artists as Elton John and Rod Stewart in Adult Cotemporary radio hits- leading with 24.

Brickman was classically trained , but grew up listening to music such as The Carpenters, Herb Albert and Broadway show tunes. He describes his music as “”solo instrumental pop music,”” but others describe his playing as light jazz. Either way, he has the ability to inspire and capture hopeless romantics around the world.

“”I hear music in everyday things … nature, conversation, the world around me. But I know that my music is being used for a variety of reasons, like falling in love, relaxing and lately I’ve been hearing about healing. So I do keep all those people in my mind when I compose,”” Brickman said.

Brickman will also perform with two special guests; vocalist Anne Cochran and electric violinist Tracy Silverman, and both have toured with Brickman before.

His impressive resume includes six gold and platinum albums, consistent hits on Billboard charts, a Grammy nod in 2003, SESAC “”Songwriter of the Year”” award, a Canadian Country Music Award, and a Dove Award presented by the Gospel Music Association. In 2005, Brickman taped a concert special for the Public Broadcasting Network, “”Jim Brickman at the Magic Kingdom – The Disney Songbook.””

“”Creative inspiration comes from people like Walt Disney and Jim Henson, who thought so completely out of the box,”” Brickman said.

Brickman’s audience began with a majority of fans being women between the ages of 25 to 65. However, the faces of men have become more familiar as they accompany their wives and girlfriends to his concerts. Many couples are also playing his love songs at weddings and his relaxing musical compositions have even been played in delivery rooms for women in labor.

“”Music is an escape for me and I hope it will be for the students as well. My show is fun, romantic, relaxing and warm. I hope they see that instrumental music, melody in particular can convey all kinds of feelings without uttering a word,”” Brickman said.

Jim Brickman’s Valentine’s Show will be held on Thursday, Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m. in Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd. Ticket prices range from $18 to $42 with student, senior, group and military discounts available.