Police Beat: Nov. 17

Park and sleep

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to the Park Avenue Parking Garage at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday in response to a man sleeping near the bike racks on the first level. The officer awakened the man, who was wrapped in a green blanket. The man identified himself and a records check revealed the man had an active exclusionary order that prohibited him from being on UA property. The man said he was aware of the order. The officer arrested the man on charges of criminal trespassing in the second degree and transported him to Pima County Jail, where he was booked. The man’s belongings were placed into safekeeping at UAPD.

No one is immune to P-Card fraud

A UAPD officer went to the Department of Immunology at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday in response to attempted fraud. The officer met with an employee who said someone had attempted to make fraudulent purchases using an immunology department purchasing card issued by the UA. The woman said she had the card in her possession and had not issued it to anyone else. Two charges were made between Nov. 7 and Nov. 8. The charges were declined. The charges were made to two computer electronics companies in Colorado and England for $150.80 and $116.84. A third charge made to a clothing company in Wales for $1 was still pending. A few hours later, the officer found out that additional fraudulent charges had been attempted on a second card from the Department of Immunology. Victim’s rights forms were mailed to the UA.

Courtyard nap

A UAPD officer went to the School of Natural Resources and the Environment at 2 p.m. on Sunday in response to a man who had been sleeping in the courtyard all day. When the officer arrived, he noticed a man matching the description leaving the courtyard. The man identified himself and told the officer he had been in the courtyard all day. The officer ran a records check on the man and discovered he had an exclusionary order and a warrant from UAPD. The man said he did not recall receiving the exclusionary order, but he did acknowledge that he was on UA property. The man was arrested on charges of criminal trespass in the second degree and was booked into the Pima County Jail.

Minus the Linus

A UAPD officer spoke with a student on the phone at 5 p.m. on Sunday in reference to a theft. The man reported that his blue UA fleece blanket had been stolen from the washing machine at Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall, where he lived. He said he put his clothes and the blanket in the washing machine and when he returned an hour later, only the blanket was missing. Victim’s rights forms were mailed to the man.