Police Beat

A man was cited Sunday at about 8:49 p.m. for driving without a license after driving through oncoming traffic at the intersection of East Speedway Boulevard and North Campbell Avenue, reports stated.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer saw a gray minivan driving westbound on Speedway Boulevard turn left into oncoming lanes of northbound traffic on Campbell Avenue, reports stated.

The man drove slowly through the intersection and had to maneuver through traffic stopped at the light.

The man turned left behind the Four Points by Sheraton Tucson University Plaza, 1900 E. Speedway Blvd., and told the office in broken English that he was sorry, reports stated.

A records check showed that the man driving the vehicle did not have a driver’s license. His wife, who was also the registered owner of the vehicle, was in the passenger’s side of the vehicle and she did not have a driver’s license either, reports stated.

The vehicle was towed and impounded.

An officer noticed the south face of the Harvill building on 1103 E. Second St. was defaced at 4:25 p.m. Saturday.

Reports indicated the building had a black spray-painted stencil of a female with a penis, yellow pom-poms for breasts and red and green pom-poms for testicles.

The spray-painted female also had “”google eyes,”” reports stated. The officer alerted university employees of the incident for cleanup.

A man was pulled over and arrested at 9 p.m. Saturday for driving without headlights or a license plate light on East Mabel Street and North Park Avenue, reports stated.

A records check indicated that the man had an outstanding arrest warrant for failing to appear in court on charges of consumption and possession of alcohol in a vehicle.

The man also failed to produce proof of insurance and had a purse in his car that belonged to a woman.

The woman came to pick up her purse from the traffic stop location and was arrested on site for an outstanding warrant for failing to appear for charges of shoplifting.

The woman was also in possession of a pocketknife and an Arizona identification card belonging to her boyfriend, reports stated.

An officer responded to a disturbance of the peace call from university employees at 1:00 p.m. Friday.

A woman said her co-worker punched her in the chest after she had asked her for a piece of work equipment.

The woman said her chest hurt and she was having trouble breathing after the incident.

The other woman said she had been approached aggressively by the woman and said she had placed the back of her hand on the other woman’s chest to move by her.

The supervisor of the lab where the women both worked said the woman who had allegedly been hit would only be working for the lab for a few weeks and had been confrontational in the past.

The supervisor assured police that the matter would be handled administratively, reports stated.

A Parking and Transportation officer reported that he found a stolen parking pass in a Zone 1 parking lot on the south side of the Student Recreational Center off of East Sixth Street and North Highland Avenue, reports stated.

The PTS officer ran reports on the permit and found that it was stolen in February 2006.

The vehicle was booted and parking tickets were issued. As the police officer was writing tickets, the owner

approached the vehicle and said he received the permit at the beginning of June from a friend, who had gotten it from another friend.

The officer asked the owner of the vehicle if he understood that he was receiving a service he didn’t pay for and the owner acknowledged that he did understand.

The police officer requested for detectives to follow up with names of the people who were previously in
    possession of the permit, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Records. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resumǸ can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.