The 17th annual EGGstravaganza will once again unite Easter lovers

Get those empty baskets ready for some hoppin’ yummy treats and Easter bunny surprises. Tucson Parks and Recreation will host the annual EGGstravaganza at Mansfield Park in hopes of uniting the local Tucson community with a cheerful and spring-filled ambiance.

This year’s event will commence as usual at Mansfield Park on March 26. Located on 2000 N. Fourth Ave., the EGGstravaganza is located in a convenient location for the entire local community. Ron Odell, a district supervisor with the City of Tucson Parks and Recreation, expressed his excitement for the event.

“The attendance at this recurring event is extraordinary: around 4,000 golf balls were used last year,” Odell said. “As many as 3,000 people—triple from previous years—may be in attendance by 11 a.m.”

The EGGstravaganza runs from 10 a.m-1 p.m., with additional parking opportunities at the Donna Liggins Center, Mansfield Park Pool, Tucson Symphony, the Sixth Avenue Dog Park, as well as street parking.

This year’s event, sponsored by the Ward 3 Council Office, USA Youth Sports, CareMore, Bear Essential News and Tucson Water, predicts an epic turn out. Food vendors will line the sides of the event, selling delicious treats to satisfy those chocolate or greasy cravings. Apart from the food booths, carnival games will excite children of all ages.

For children, the fun part is a grand visit from the Easter bunny. This icon has long served as a beacon of spring spirit and true happiness for years. In addition, children look forward to the Easter egg hunt, which uses golf balls in place of eggs according to Tucson native Brandon Lombardi, who recalls his time spent at the past events.

“It was always so cute, watching my younger sister trip on her face when running in the egg hunt,” Lombardi said. “She got real excited upon finding different treats and toys, it made me reminisce about my childhood days again. Watching all of the kids scramble around, giving into the spirit of Easter made it all much more refreshing. It makes you think as an adult, ‘Why can’t we enjoy the little things in life that we used to?’”

The anticipated Easter egg hunt will be divided into different child age groups due to the extremely large attendance. While Tucson Parks and Recreation boasts free admission to the event, guests must remember to bring their own baskets, as well as some spending money for the food and drinks offered.

Follow Sammy Cherukuri on Twitter.