“Seniors to spend summers working, traveling the world”

While some students are eager to begin work at their new jobs right after graduating, other seniors will use the summer as a time for travel and relaxation.

“”This is the last summer I have before I have to buckle down,”” said Lily Balasuriya, a senior majoring in pre-health and psychology.

Balasuriya said she’s going to the Dominican Republic for a month this summer to work with people with disabilities at a mission, where she’ll get to practice her Spanish, work with patients and visit the beaches in Santo Domingo.

She said she hopes the summer will be a time when she can “”grow and get ready for the real world”” before she starts graduate school in the fall in St. Louis, Mo.

Balasuriya also said she might find some time to go to Disneyland.

Holly Ludwig, a senior majoring in English, said she’s going on a cruise with her family to celebrate her graduation and her grandmother’s birthday.

“”I’m feeling all nostalgic. It’s weird, but exciting,”” Ludwig said.

She said she isn’t sure if she will work this summer because she wants to “”take time off and relax”” before starting law school in the fall.

(It’s) because I’m a senior, because I’m broke and there’s no more student loans.
    – Amy Rasmussen, elementary education senior

“”I’m looking forward to taking a breather,”” Ludwig said.

Amy Rasmussen, an elementary education senior, said she’ll begin teaching second-grade students in the fall in Safford, but she’ll spend two weeks in Ireland with her family over the summer.

She said she’ll also spend some time working as a nanny this summer.

“”(It’s) because I’m a senior, because I’m broke and there’s no more student loans,”” Rasmussen said.

Jenny Cowen, a senior majoring in family studies and human development, said she didn’t plan any trips over the summer because she’ll work full-time as a volunteer coordinator for the Primavera Foundation after she graduates.