Raise the curtain! Live shows returning to Broadway in Tucson

Alexandra Pere

Centennial Hall was built in 1937 and was originally named, the Main Auditorium, before its renovation in 1985. It hosts a wide variety of performing arts including musicals, plays, comedians, ballets and more!

After a long closure due to the pandemic, live shows will finally return to Broadway in Tucson starting this fall. The theatre rolled over the spring shows from this year into the 2021-22 season, so the schedule will be packed with so much variety, there is sure to be a performance for everyone to enjoy. 

RELATED: Around the Corner: Mt. Lemmon’s SkyCenter offers virtual programming

The first major show to make a comeback will be Lin-Manuel Miranda’s smash hit, “Hamilton” from November 17-December 5. This award-winning show offers a fresh take on the stories of the past with a twist on sounds from the future. Audiences will follow the story of founding father Alexander Hamilton, only instead of violins and pub scenes, viewers will listen to a story told through hip-hop, jazz and R&B. 

Broadway in Tucson will also feature celebrity chef Alton Brown in his variety show, “Alton Brown Live: Beyond the Eats” on Wednesday, Nov. 10. For those who are familiar with Brown’s famous Food Network show “Good Eats,” his live variety show will mirror his past TV show. There will be comedy, music, crazy food experiments and food science. Some audience members will be lucky enough to take the stage with Brown, as he will look for volunteers throughout the show. 

RELATED: Tucson Zine Fest returns with 2021 summer exhibition

With those two shows rounding out 2021, the lineup for 2022 is just as stacked, which will feature nine shows including other major musicals like “Hadestown” and “Wicked.”

Tickets for all these shows are available at broadwayintucson.com.

Follow Sean Fagan on Twitter