CatTunes: Sneak peek of Tucson’s live music scene this week

With only a few weeks before the end of the semester, here are three tracks to spice up that old iPod playlist you’ve been walking around campus to all semester — and if the tracks spark your interest, there are also dates and venues where each artist can be seen live in concert this week in Tucson.

Generationals“When They Fight, They Fight”

The duo of Ted Joyner and Grant Widmer produce a debut album serving as a veritable span of pop music highlights from the ‘50s to the ‘90s. The fourth track on the New Orleans duo’s Con Law, “When They Fight, They Fight” (2009) wouldn’t be out of place on the jukebox of a greasy spoon, hole-in-the-wall diner or on a pop station as a new summer hit — perfect for a late semester pick-me-up. The Generationals has joined forces with Mates of State and will perform tonight at Plush, on the corner of Sixth Street and Fourth Avenue.

Ra Ra Riot“Boy”

New York indie rockers Ra Ra Riot’s “Boy” (2010) off their sophomore album The Orchard features Wes Miles’ indie-pop vocalizing over an interesting strings section. It adds extra layers to the piece and an outstanding bass addition that makes the song ripe for a little head-nodding while walking down the UA Mall.

The band pulls in crossover potential too, even getting this song on a car commercial for the new fall 2011 Honda Civic Ex-L. Ra Ra Riot will bring that sensibility to Club Congress downtown on Tuesday, with Delicate Steve and Yellow Ostrich.

Mac Miller“Donald Trump”

Pittsburgh rap phenom Mac Miller signed with Rostrum Records, the same label as Wiz Khalifa, fresh out of high school and has been making mixtape hits since. In “Donald Trump,” (2011) he makes sure to let it be known to his fleet of adoring fans that he’s made it — and he’s not going anywhere, with a swag far past his 19 years. Mac also shocks crowds by strumming his guitar, which he taught himself to play by the age of 6, something, fingers crossed, he’ll pull again on Saturday at the Rialto Theatre.