Police Beat: March 1

Man gets jumped, but story doesn’t jibe

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to a bus stop by the Optical Sciences building on Wednesday at

1:39 a.m. because a man reported he was assaulted.

When the officer arrived to the bus stop, the man said he had been in the Main Library around 1 a.m. when he was asked to leave because he was not affiliated with the UA.

The man said that once he left the library, he walked to the Circle K at Sixth Street and Cherry Avenue to buy a candy bar. After purchasing the candy bar, he started to walk back toward campus, hoping to get back into the library.

While the man was under the east side of the football stadium, he ran into four men he didn’t know. He reported that the men punched and kicked him repeatedly before jumping into a white Honda Accord. He complained of neck and groin pain, but there were no signs of injury.

The man said that he was probably jumped because his brother had been in trouble with some people and he has been seen walking with his brother recently.

The Tucson Fire Department arrived on scene to give the man medical attention and transported him to University Medical Center.

Before leaving the bus stop for the hospital, the man told the officer he was heavily medicated for a bipolar disorder and seizures. He also said he currently lives on the streets.

The UAPD officer followed up with the man once he was checked into UMC. The man then told the officer that it was three men that assaulted him, and they had jumped into a white Dodge Neon.

The officer asked him why the story was different than the first time. The man said it was because the men had switched cars.

Employees at UMC told the officer that the victim was a regular patient at the hospital, and they would let the officer know any new information they got.

A victim’s rights form was issued to the man. He said that if the other men were found he would like to press charges.

Intoxicated woman calls cops for detox

A UAPD officer arrived at the Coronado Residence Hall on Feb. 21 at 1:45 a.m. after an on-duty resident assistant reported a woman was vomiting outside the front entrance and then in the bathroom.

The officer found the woman inside one of the bathrooms and could hear her inside throwing up.

The woman opened the door to the bathroom and told the officer that she did not need any medical help.

When the officer saw that she had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, bad balance and coordination and smelled of alcohol, he read the woman her rights.

She told the officer that she’d had one cup of hard liquor earlier that night at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house at 1011 N. Tyndall Ave. and the alcohol had been given to her by a man she didn’t know.

The woman told the officer that she was mentally and emotionally stable and would be fine.

She was cited and released for minor in possession in body and was escorted to her dorm room.

At 2:55 a.m. the woman called police and asked to be transported to UMC for detox.

Obnoxious urinator charged with MIP

A UAPD officer was on patrol Feb. 21 at 1 a.m. when he saw a man on the sidewalk in front of the Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall facing traffic and peeing into the street.

The officer met with the man on the west side of the dorms after the man fled from where he was when he saw the officer.

While the officer was talking to the man, UAPD dispatch got a call from an on-duty resident assistant saying there was a suspicious person trying to get into Manzanita-Mohave and was being argumentative with staff. The description matched the same one of the man who was peeing in public.

A resident spoke with the officer and told him that he was in his room when he heard loud banging on the glass door beneath his window. The resident went to the door and told the man that he would have to use his CatCard to get in the west doors.

As the man continued banging on the door with closed fists, he yelled at the resident that he did not have his CatCard and kept saying, “”Let me in, you fucker!””

When the man realized the police were being called, he walked away.

He told officers that he had been drinking at an off-campus house, but would not say whom he was with or where the house was.

The man was cited and released for minor in possession in body, criminal littering — urinating in public and disorderly conduct — unreasonable noise.