Multicultural greeks form new council

A new council representing multicultural sororities and fraternities at the UA was created this week, and will address the needs of smaller Greek chapters as well as host diversity programs.

The United Sorority and Fraternity Council signed its constitution this week and will elect officers Wednesday.

After two weeks of recruitment, seven of 13 multicultural fraternities and sororities on campus have joined the new council, said Gary Ballinger, director of Fraternity and Sorority Programs.

Multicultural fraternities and sororities on campus previously addressed their needs to the Multicultural Greek Caucus. The caucus brought together parts of the two governing bodies: the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Association.

The United council will now address the needs of the smaller Greek chapters.

The UA’s multicultural sororities and fraternities typically are home to about 25 members each. Their needs differ from the larger organizations on campus, which may have 50 to 100 members or more, said Patrick Bryan, a higher education graduate student and, founding member of the Latino-based fraternity Lambda Theta Phi.

Latina-based Sigma Lambda Gamma, Kappa Delta Chi and Gamma Alpha Omega joined the council, along with Latino-based Sigma Lambda Beta.

Other members include Delta Lambda Phi, a fraternity open to men of all sexual orientations, and Pi Alpha Phi, an Asian-American interest fraternity, said Ana Botello, a political science senior and president of Sigma Lambda Gamma.

Issues such as recruitment, programming and housing affect smaller greek organizations differently than larger organizations, Bryan said.

“”It’s going to provide a really great sense of community to the smaller chapters who don’t have houses,”” said Daniel Churgin, a microbiology senior and president of Delta Lambda Phi.

United members want to host events for members of the council and the greek community.

“”I’m hoping that the USFC can focus on multicultural, diversity-focused events,”” Churgin said.

USFC is designed to promote dialogue and community between multicultural greek organizations and the UA community.

“”It’s just going to be a great network for us to work together,”” Churgin said. “”It’s going to be really good for information sharing and making connections between groups.””