Recreation Center planners open to student suggestions

Pre-physiology freshmen Razvan Marc and Jason Nguyen lift together in the Rec Center weight room yesterday. The Rec Center will be building a new weight room, two basketball courts, and a climbing wall, to be finished spring 2009.

A 30,000-square-foot weight room, a climbing wall and two multiactivity courts are potential additions to the Student Recreation Center, but Rec Center officials want more suggestions from students.

Juliette Moore, director of campus recreation, said a finalized layout has yet to be established, but the weight room would include additional cardio machines, such as bikes, elliptical trainers and treadmills.

However, before these changes are made, Moore said students are encouraged to voice their suggestions on the facility’s expansion, which is set to be complete by spring 2009.

“”I want to make sure students have input and involvement. It is critical to have them a part of this process,”” Moore said.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Erin Hertzog said ASUA will be putting together a recreation expansion committee to decide on budgeting for the project.

With a limited budget of around $2 million, Hertzog said it is vital that students have input on where and how to spend the funding for the Rec Center expansion.

Hertzog said the committee plans to launch a campaign across campus to acquire students’ suggestions on how the Rec Center can be improved.

A survey of no less than 1,000 students will be conducted, and numerous club appearances will help spread the word of the expansion project, Hertzog said.

“”My vision for this project is for students to dictate where this project goes,”” said Hertzog.

Zach Simon, an undeclared freshman, said he is ready for an expansion of the Rec Center.

“”The courts at the Rec are always full, and you have to make reservations,”” Simon said. “”It’s absolutely appalling and a change sounds lovely.””In November 2005, a decision to continue the $25 “”Recreation Center Retirement Fee”” was passed, establishing that this fee will continue for 30 more years past 2011, when the old fee was set to expire.

Moore said the fee will not increase even with the construction.

Moore said she hopes to take a “”team”” approach in planning this project, and the design will be complete within 10 to 12 months.

The Student Recreation Center Expansion team, which is discussing new additions to the Rec Center, includes representatives from Residence Life, Arizona Student Unions, ASUA, Campus Health Service, the recreation adviser, community relations, an architect and the construction manager.

Moore said contracting negotiations with an architect and construction manager are still pending, but the top choice for an architect is M3/Sasaki, and the top choice for construction is Sundt.

Moore expects to hire a team by the end of this week.

Alex Solt, a biology freshman, said he is excited about the expansion.

“”That’d be great to have more room to work out,”” Solt said. “”There’ll be less waiting in line and more people will use the Rec Center.””