Writing Center given funds to plug holes

The Writing Center will hire a receptionist and add more locations and hours with funding received from UA central administration Wednesday.

Georgie Miller, a graduate coordinator at the Writing Center, said the center was given about $25,000 from the Provost’s Office, which is about 85 to 90 percent of the Writing Center’s usual budget for the semester.

Jerrold Hogle, vice provost for instruction, said Wednesday he was able to supplement the Writing Center’s reduced budget with emergency money kept to fund last-minute hires at the beginning of the semester.

Hogle said he worked with Provost George Davis to find funding to give to the Writing Center since he first heard of the program’s budget cuts two weeks ago.

The additional funds will be used to hire receptionists so students can call to make appointments and be greeted at the Writing Center.

“”I think that having a receptionist is a really big part of the professionalism of the Writing Center,”” said James Jackson, an undergraduate tutor at the center.

The funds will also be used to add satellite walk-in locations at the women’s studies and agriculture departments and the UA Main Library.

Miller said she hopes the satellite locations will provide an alternative for students who want walk-in appointments.

The funds came at a good time because the Writing Center is at a point in the semester when its appointments fill up about a week in advance, Miller said.

Students who came for a walk-in appointment Wednesday were turned away because all available appointment times have been filled through Friday.

Any additional funds will likely be used to increase the tutoring hours offered at the Writing Center’s main office in Bear Down Gym, Miller said.

Jackson said he hopes he will be able to work more hours at the Writing Center because of the additional funding.

“”I’m not holding out for it, but I’ll try to take some, depending on the hours,”” Jackson said.