7 men robbed at gunpoint on Univ.

Seven men were robbed at gunpoint early Friday morning on the UA campus near Arizona’s Main Gate.

Four men riding in a sport utility vehicle robbed several male victims at gunpoint between 1:15 a.m. and 1:45 a.m. near East University Boulevard and North Park Avenue, police said.

Two victims were “”pistol-whipped”” by the suspect’s handgun. The two men who were assaulted with the handgun suffered non-life-threatening injuries and did not go to the hospital for treatment, said Tucson Police Department spokesman Officer Frank Amado.

Tucson Police responded to the scene after multiple 911 calls reported men in an SUV robbing people near East University Boulevard and then driving away, Amado said.

Tucson Police were able to track the SUV with a helicopter search, and directed officers to a vehicle matching the description. The search involved both TPD and the University of Arizona Police Department.

“”Everyone did a good job of getting good descriptions (of the vehicle and the suspects),”” Amado said.

When police stopped the SUV near North Fourth Avenue and East Speedway Boulevard, two male suspects got out of the vehicle and took off running, police said.

Police apprehended the men who stayed in the vehicle: the suspected driver of the vehicle, John Ward, 24, and Alex Cota, 23, the man who is suspected of “”pistol-whipping”” two male victims with the handgun, police said.

Police took the handgun that is suspected in the incident and also found victims’ ID cards, money and credit cards, all of which will be documented into evidence and returned to the victims.

Police have not found the two males who fled the vehicle. Ward and Cota are both being held at Pima County Jail for suspicion of seven counts of aggravated assault, aggravated robbery and armed robbery.