Wurm named Pac-10 gymnast of the week

Arizona sophomore Karin Wurm competes for the Gymcats in their next-to-last home meet March 3. She is a notch above the rest this week, after becoming the third Wildcat gymnast this season to earn Pac-10 Player of the Week honors.

GYMCATS: STACKING UP THE HONORS

Arizona sophomore gymnast Karin Wurm was named the Pacific 10 Conference’s gymnast of the week yesterday after winning her first career overall title at the Texas Women’s University meet Saturday.

Wurm, the third Wildcat to receive the honor this season, scored a 39.400 overall, setting personal bests on the vault and balance beam and floor exercise with a 9.900 on each event. Wurm led Arizona to season-high scores on each of those events.

The 39.4 overall score is the highest for a Wildcat since Monica Bisordi put up a 39.5 at the Pac-10 Championships in 2004.

“”That’s how I’ve trained all season,”” Wurm said. “”I’ve been building up a lot of confidence throughout the season. We’ve always been changing a little thing here or there on some stuff, and it all just clicked.””

Arizona head coach Bill Ryden said Arizona has been waiting for Wurm to perform like this for a while.

“”It seemed like she’s had a little bit of issues on one event or another, she made some changes and everything came together for her,”” Ryden said yesterday.

Wurm’s overall title helped the Wildcats score 196.575 to beat No. 23 Bringham Young and host Texas Women’s.

“”The whole meet, everyone was great,”” Wurm said. “”There were probably things we could’ve done better. It’s nice to have that confidence now. Bill’s been telling us we’re that good and we got to show it.””