“Red Cross, frat team up on blood drive”

Jake Lacey/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Pre-business sophomore Ricky Tribble gets blood drawn during a blood drive at the Kappa Sigma fraternity house yesterday. The American Red Cross filled the 25 unit quota for the event.
    Jake Lacey
    Jake Lacey/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Pre-business sophomore Ricky Tribble gets blood drawn during a blood drive at the Kappa Sigma fraternity house yesterday. The American Red Cross filled the 25 unit quota for the event.

Kappa Sigma hosted a blood drive yesterday to help the American Red Cross collect blood for those in need.

Matt Mayberry, a Kappa Sigma member, sat calmly as a Red Cross worker disinfected the area of his arm that would get punctured by a needle so that he could donate one pint of blood.

Mayberry, a business economics sophomore, said he got “”anxious”” the first time he ever donated, but he is used to it now.

“”It’s an acquired taste,”” he said.

Mayberry was one of 25 people who helped the fraternity meet the Red Cross’ quota for the day by donating blood.

Donors had to go through a series of steps that took about an hour before donating blood, said Tandie Vermeal, a mobile unit assistant. The steps included a temperature check up, a questionnaire and a blood sample to determine whether donors had sufficient red blood cells in order to donate.

Johnie Campbell, a doner services technician, said the donations made by students were vital because blood does not last very long after it has been drawn. Blood has a shelf life of only 40 days, and frozen plasma can last about a year, he said.

Campbell said the blood would be given to whoever needed it, but he hopes it is used within the region.

Ricky Tribble, a business sophomore and Kappa Sigma member, called up some of his friends and encouraged them to donate before he lay down to get his blood drawn.

“”A lot of people are afraid of needles and blood. I’m not, so that’s why I’m here,”” he said.

Tribble added that he was not nervous because he has donated in the past.

Jaymie Foreman, a math sophomore, agreed and said she was a little nervous but that she was going donate blood anyway.

“”Blood makes me nervous,”” she said. “”(But) I want to help out.””

Mayberry said it was the least he could do to help out those in need.

“”(Giving blood) is an easy thing to do to save a life,”” he said.