Police Beat: Sept. 28

Under where?

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to the UofA Bookstore on Sunday in response to a report of a shoplifter in custody. A bookstore employee told the officer he had observed a man take a hat and lanyard from a sales rack. The price tag fell off the lanyard and the employee saw the man stuff the lanyard into his underwear. The man then went to the register and paid for the hat. The employee approached the man outside and they went back into the store. The officer spoke to the man, who said he was in Tucson celebrating a friend’s birthday. While browsing the bookstore, he found the hat and lanyard. The man said the price tag fell off the lanyard and that he did not rip it off. He admitted to intentionally concealing the lanyard and not paying for it. The officer contacted a family friend of the man, who came and picked him up because he was younger than 18 years old. He was cited for shoplifting and released into the care of the friend.

Bash the windows out your car

A UAPD officer went to Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday in response to a report of criminal damage. The officer spoke to a member of the fraternity who reported that the driver’s side window of his car was bashed out completely during the night. He said his car was parked on First Avenue just north of Second Street near the fraternity. One of the man’s neighbors told him they heard his car alarm going off repeatedly around 3 a.m. There was nothing missing from the inside of the car. The man wished to prosecute whoever damaged his car and filled out a victim’s rights form. The officer photographed the damage and informed the man of preventative measures he could take to make sure his car is safe in the future. There are no suspects or leads at this time.

Uninsured, out of luck

A UAPD officer was on patrol near Speedway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue around 3 a.m. on Sunday when he observed a car run a red light. The officer stopped the vehicle and spoke to the driver, who identified himself with his Arizona identification card. The man did not have an insurance card. The officer ran a record check and found that the man’s license had previously been revoked and suspended. The officer arrested the man for driving with a suspended license, driving without insurance and for running a red light. He was released at the scene and the vehicle was impounded.

Bamboozled bicycle

A UAPD officer spoke to a woman at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday who reported her blue mountain bike had been stolen from the racks at McClelland Park. She locked her bike to the east side rack at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday with a cable lock and returned around 6 p.m. to find her bike and lock were gone. The woman was able to provide the serial number for the bike, but it was not registered with Parking and Transportation Services. There is no further information.