‘Cats honored for academics

The Commitment to an Athlete’s Total Success staff selected freshman Kristen Arriola (softball), freshman Hannah Moen (women’s cross country), freshman Kenji Hernandez (men’s golf) and senior Fendi Onobun (men’s basketball) as the Student-Athletes of the Month for October.

Some of the criteria the C.A.T.S. Academics staff look for in the student’s academic performance include: improvement, outstanding effort, overall scholastic performance and consistent citizenship through personal character, integrity and role-model actions.

“”Our academic support staff has made terrific progress invigorating both our approach and the student-athletes’ performance. This citation points to individuals who have stepped up and made a difference, both for themselves and for the health of our department,”” UA athletics director Jim Livengood said in a press release. “”Every month it’s a pleasure to see who’s who in the classroom.””

Previous winners of the award include September’s honorees – Courtney Clements (women’s basketball), Hanna Henson (women’s cross country), Adam Grant and Joe Longacre (football) – and those honored during the summer session: Daniel Butler (baseball), Jasmin Day (track), Laura Huylebroeck (soccer) and Xavier Smith (football).