State Museum recieves 200 new baskets

The Arizona State Museum received a large donation of 209 Hopi baskets from Judith W. and Andrew D. Finger, private collectors. The baskets will be put on display in the next few months.

The Arizona State Museum received a large donation of 208 Hopi baskets from Judith and Andrew Finger to add to the museum’s already extensive collection.

The Fingers first began collecting Hopi baskets in 1988 while vacationing in Santa Fe.

The 177 wicker, 29 coiled and 3 plaited baskets join “the world’s largest, most comprehensive, and best documented assemblage of American Indian basketry” according to the museum’s website.

RELATED: ‘I, a Squealer’ gives the other side of the Pied Piper Murders of Tucson 

Diane Dittemore, the associate curator of ethnological collections, is in charge of the basket exhibit. She said Southwestern ethnological collections consist primarily of basketry, pottery and textiles. The museum has a large collection of baskets and Native American art focused on the Southwest.

The new basket collection will be on display within the current spring semester. The museum is open to all community members and free to students. Exhibits vary depending on time of year.

Follow Pascal Albright on Twitter