Police Beat

A graduate student was arrested on charges of domestic violence assault on July 12 at 2:48 p.m. after he allegedly punched his wife in the arm three times during an argument in the Chemistry building, 1230 E. University Blvd., reports stated.

The wife, also a graduate student, told police the argument was about her registering for classes for the fall semester. Her husband was upset over the money he would have to pay for the classes she needed, reports stated.

The wife said she had told her husband that he wasn’t considering her situation. The husband then “”asked her what did she just say to him?”” reports stated.

The wife repeated what she had said about her husband not being considerate and told police he then punched her in her right arm three times.

Police saw bruising on the wife’s upper arm, reports stated.

The wife told police she was afraid of what her husband might do to her if she pressed charges and said she didn’t want to.

Police were told the husband worked in the Old Chemistry building, 1306 E. University Blvd., and went to talk to him about the incident, reports stated.

The husband told police the same story but said he had only slapped his wife in the arm and denied punching her, reports stated.

Police arrested the husband and transported him to Pima County Jail where he was booked for domestic violence assault, reports stated.

Police also referred the husband to the Dean of Students Code of Conduct, reports stated.

A man was cited and released on charges of speeding and driving with a suspended license July 12 after police saw his gold SUV traveling more than 50 mph in a 35 mph zone, reports stated.

Police saw the man driving southbound at 11:25 a.m. on North Euclid Avenue and found him to be traveling at 53 mph, reports stated.

The man was stopped near North Euclid Avenue and East Fourth Street, reports stated.

A records check showed the man’s license was suspended, reports stated.

Police arrested a man on charges of criminal littering July 12 after he was seen urinating outside of the Speed Clean Coin Wash laundry mat, 1624 E. Sixth St., reports stated.

A police aide told officers he had seen the man urinating on the south side wall at 9:55 p.m. and pointed to the area. Police saw a pool of liquid that smelled like urine.

Police entered the laundry mat and recognized the man from previous encounters with him, reports stated.

When told he had been seen urinating outside, the man said, “”Yeah. I had to take a piss, so I went outside to do it,”” reports stated.

Police told the man urinating outside was a criminal offense and the man said, “”Okay, do your job,”” reports stated.

The man was cited for criminal littering, released and left the area without further problems.

A student told police someone had sprayed shaving cream on his car sometime between July 10 and July 11 while it was parked near the John W. Harshbarger building, 1133 E. James E. Rogers Way, reports stated.

The student told police he wanted to report the crime because he didn’t want to be a victim.

The student had last seen his vehicle at 10:30 p.m. on July 10 and noticed the shaving cream at 1:07 a.m. on July 11, reports stated.

Police saw four other vehicles in the same location had also been sprayed.

None of the vehicles received permanent damage, reports stated.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

A student’s $75 red mountain bike and $25 U-lock were stolen from the Electrical and Computer Engineering building, 1230 E. Speedway Blvd., sometime between July 11 and July 12, reports stated.

The student last saw his bike at 4:30 p.m. on July 11 when he locked it to the bike racks southwest of the building, reports stated.

When the student returned to get his bike after work at 3:30 p.m. on July 12 both the bike and the lock were gone.

The student didn’t know the bike’s serial number and couldn’t think of anyone who might have taken his bike, reports stated.

The student was transported back to his residence.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Records. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resumǸ can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.