Editorial: Student media works as a voice for you

“Print the news, sound the alarm, and raise hell” has been the Arizona Daily Wildcat’s motto for longer than it’s been called the Wildcat.

In one form or another, student press has existed on campus since 1899, when the Sage Green and Silver debuted as a monthly journal. Since then, student media at the UA functioned under several names, as several different types of publications. It became the Arizona Daily Wildcat in 1915, renamed from Arizona Life to “so perfectly express the individuality of our campus and school.”

Media and the Wildcat has evolved in more than 100 years of existence. But regardless of its form — monthly journal, daily newspaper, website or mobile app — it’s always stuck to its motto: Print the news. Sound the alarm. Raise hell.

Whether it was dealing with a student quarantine because of an outbreak of spinal meningitis, covering World War II’s impact on campus life, fighting attempts by the Associated Students of the University of Arizona to dictate Wildcat editorial policy or battling libel lawsuits, the Wildcat has always maintained its commitment to exercising freedom of speech.

We’re the First Amendment in action. We hold the bad guys accountable. We recognize the good guys. We act as a voice for the UA community.

But without you, the Wildcat reader, we wouldn’t have anyone to print the news for, no one to hear the alarm or watch us raise hell.

So consider this your space. This is your page, and you, the Wildcat reader, should exercise your voice. Write us letters.
    Send us guest columns. Email us at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu, or find us on Facebook and Twitter. Be old-fashioned and give us a phone call or come see our office. Just rememember, we need you as much as we like to think you need us.

— Editorials are determined by the Arizona Daily Wildcat’s editorial board and written by one of its members. They are Bethany Barnes, Kristina Bui, Jason Krell, K.C. Libman and Alex Williams. They can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu or on Twitter via @WildcatOpinions .