Man charged with drunken driving after 13-year-old girl is killed while walking with friend in Littl

An alleged drunk driver struck and killed a 13-year-old girl Sunday night as she walked with a friend along a township street, Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Deputy Chief of Detectives Michael Mohel said Monday morning.

Emilee Laferriere, 13, was pronounced dead at 10:30 p.m. Sunday, Mohel said. She and a friend were walking south on Radio Road shortly before 10 p.m. Mohel said Timothy Hettinger, 47, was driving south on Radio Road and allegedly hit her with his 1993 Toyota Camry at 9:56 p.m. near Basswood Lake Road.

Hettinger, of Captain Drive in the township, was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated, Mohel said. He said blood tests will be reviewed by the Ocean County Prosecutor to determine if additional charges will be filed. Hettinger was not in the custody of either the Little Egg Harbor Township police department or the Ocean County Department of Correctionson Monday morning.

Friends, family and strangers posted messages on the Internet, where a “”R.I.P. Emilee LaFerriere”” Facebook page was established. As of 1:45 p.m., there were more than 550 people who visited the page.