M-tennis gearing up for NCAAs

Arizona sophomore Andres Carrasco strains to return the ball during a 4-2 UA win against Stanford on April 3 at Robson Tennis Center. The mens tennis squad will take part in the NCAA Championships starting on Friday.
    Arizona sophomore Andres Carrasco strains to return the ball during a 4-2 UA win against Stanford on April 3 at Robson Tennis Center. The men’s tennis squad will take part in the NCAA Championships starting on Friday.

Amid preparation for this weekend’s NCAA Tournament, the Arizona men’s tennis team is also weighing in on the numerous factors on the horizon.

Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen announced Monday that head coach Tad Berkowitz was named Pac-10 Coach of the Year. It was a distinction that was easily predictable, given the remarkable turnaround of Berkowitz’s team, from last year’s unranked status to this season’s consistent appearance in the ITA top 20 and berth at nationals.

“”I think it’s awesome,”” said junior Ravid Hazi. “”This is my third year with him. The first year we weren’t even ranked. Seeing this year … and especially the teams he’s competing against – great coaches, Stanford, Cal. He really deserves it, and I’m really happy for him.””

Sophomore Andres Carrasco added: “”It means a lot to us too. … We have been one of the most improved teams in the Pac-10. It’s a great accomplishment personally for Tad. It’s an honor and I’m really happy he could get it.””

The first round of the NCAA Tournament will take place Friday, when the Wildcats will face Texas A&M Corpus Christi at 1 p.m.

“”We have so much confidence. We are really motivated,”” Carrasco said. “”We feel we have accomplished a lot. The first thing is Corpus Christi – they are a really tough team. I feel like it’s going to be a tough game. But I really believe in the guys. We are just going to go for it.””

Hazi was more circumspect.

“”We played them last year,”” he said. “”They are obviously a good team. They are good players, fighters. They will put up their best fight. But so will we.””

As for life after the NCAA Tournament, Carrasco said the key for him will be relaxation.

“”I want to spend time with my family, with my girlfriend,”” he said, adding that he will continue to work on his tennis game in anticipation for next season.

Hazi concurred, adding that there are no official tennis plans for the summer, except to rest and improve.

“”I’m going to go home to be with my family. … Everybody’s kind of on their own. Getting away from each other for a little bit after all this,”” Hazi said, laughing.