Best-dressed political figures

Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni-Sarkozy
    Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni-Sarkozy

As players on the world stage, international political figures’ images are scrutinized down to the length of their sleeves and number of buttons on their jacket. Dressing for the public eye has become an art, and the best-dressed world leaders are true artists:

Junichiro Koizumi

Nicknamed “”Lionheart”” because of his attitude and his distinctive hair, former Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi made Esquire’s list of best-dressed men in 2005.

Although he retired from politics in 2008, Koizumi’s mixture of casually patterned shirts and ties with sleek suits demonstrated an understanding of Western dress better than any of his American peers. And the Elvis sunglasses are a quirky touch.

Barack Obama

President Obama appears to favor “”dad jeans”” and running shoes when he is dressed casually. But considering he spends the majority of his time in a suit, he is otherwise a sharp dresser. He sticks to a predictable combination of a white shirt, blue tie and black suit, but I wouldn’t complain. Why fix what isn’t broken?

Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi

If President Obama’s choices tend to be safe and predictable, Muammar al-Gaddafi, dictator of Libya, is his style opposite. Gadaffi is the Lady Gaga of political figures. Gaga may not be the best style icon, but she exudes confidence in every horrible costume she’s ever worn. Like her, Gaddafi is not fashionable in the traditional sense (or at all), but half of wearing anything is being comfortable in it. Gaddafi uninhibitedly embraces every goofy outfit he’s ever been photographed in with an enthusiasm everyone else should aspire to.

Rania al Abdullah

Sometimes Queen Rania of Jordan looks more like a beauty pageant queen, rather than the queen of an Arab nation. As a supporter of a woman’s rights to choose whether or not to wear the Hijab, a head covering worn by some Muslim women, Queen Rania often balances conservative dress with glamour and does it well. She never looks less than elegant and in charge.

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, singer and first lady of France, probably has an edge over most people. Getting dressed has to be easier for a former model than the Average Joe. But Bruni-Sarkozy, especially when she’s standing next to her husband in his too-long sleeves and pant legs, has an energetic appeal. Even though she generally dresses in demure gray and navy blue, she has great taste in youthful (but not childish) ballet flats and figure-flattering silhouettes.

Michelle Obama

It isn’t any wonder that the Obama campaign often drew comparisons to John F. Kennedy and Jackie Onassis, sometimes drawing attention away from the Obamas’ achievements and goals. But I prefer the first lady’s refreshing appreciation of colors and arm-baring cuts to anything her predecessors wore. As someone in the international eye, she can leave the frumpy sweater sets and pants suits to grandmothers.