Baseball loses three starters in split with Irvine

The Arizona baseball team tried to manufacture runs yesterday against UC-Irvine, but the Anteaters were able to successfully accomplish the art of small ball, as Irvine defeated the Wildcats 7-1 yesterday at Sancet Stadium to salvage a two-game series split.

The Anteaters (18-10) added to a 1-0 lead in the eighth inning as sophomore left-handed pitcher David Coulon gave up six earned runs on five singles, including two bunt hits.

“”They had that one inning where they manufactured a bunch of runs,”” said Arizona head coach Andy Lopez. “”They did what we need to do and what I want to do too. They had that one big inning and it got out of control.

“”We blew a couple of defensive schemes that we try to work. I got to do a better job of preparing them in that situation.””

Arizona (11-12) has struggled to get clutch hits over the last three series, in which they are 1-7, and left 14 runners on base compared to 13 by Irvine yesterday. The Wildcats also struck out seven times with runners in scoring position.

“”Today we didn’t get any big hits, and we had opportunities,”” Lopez said.

“”(We need to make) minor adjustments – more communication between the guys and just shorten up our strokes,”” said junior outfielder Bill Rhinehart.

Junior lefthander Brad Mills pitched well enough to win, but the Wildcats were limited to only five hits in Mills’ 6 1/3 innings of work. Mills (2 -1) suffered the loss as he gave up one earned run, two walks and struck out five.

“”Brad pitched well,”” Lopez said. “”I’ve been very happy with the way we’ve pitched.””

On Saturday, Arizona came out on top 5-1 to end a season-high, six-game losing streak. Freshman right-hander Preston Guilmet put in 6 2/3 innings of work, giving up one unearned run while recording five strikeouts.

For both games, the Wildcats were without senior second baseman Brad Boyer, sophomore southpaw Eric Berger and freshman right fielder Jon Gaston.

Freshman second baseman Richard Stout filled in for Boyer while Rhinehart and freshman outfielder Brad Glenn manned the corner outfield positions, filling the vacancies left by senior left fielder Derek Decater and Gaston.

Double Trouble

Freshman right-hander Preston Guilmet and junior lefty Brad Mills (right) turned in nearly identical performances in their starts for the Wildcats. Both struck out five and allowed seven hits in just over six innings of work, resulting in an impressive combined stat line:

“”If our regular starters were out there, I’d probably be more concerned,”” Lopez said.

Boyer injured his hip flexor and is expected to play this weekend to open the Pacific 10 Conference against California. Berger has a muscle strain in his throwing elbow and could play this weekend, while Gaston injured his left wrist two weeks ago against Mississippi State and will have an MRI today.

“”Those guys are just going to have to get healthy,”” said junior shortstop Jason Donald. “”There’s not much more you can say. Rich Stout did a phenomenal job this weekend stepping in for Boyer, and that provides us with some depth a little bit. We have to be ready to go in Pac-10 (play).””