Police Beat

A male was cited and released for criminal damage after admitting to police that he spray-painted a wall in the Highland tunnel, 1395 E. Speedway Blvd., Sept. 26, reports stated.

Police responded to a called from a witness at Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., in regard to suspicious activity at the construction site across the street. The witness said he saw what looked like the male walk around the site and then pick something up and put it in his bag.

When police arrived the male took off running. Police were able to detain the male and identified him with an Arizona learner’s permit.

The male said he started to run because he thought they were after him for walking on campus on his way home from north Fourth Avenue. The officer explained that it was not illegal to walk across campus and running from police could indicate him as being involved with a crime.

Police did not find any items of relevance in the male’s bag. They asked the male for contact information in case anything was found missing in the area. He then told police that he was not in the area to steal.

The male told police that he had spray-painted the east wall in the Highland tunnel. “”Lost Boy”” was found spray-painted on the wall and blue and yellow cans of paint were found in a planter near the place where police were speaking to the male.

The spray paint cans were placed into evidence and the male was warned for trespassing.

Graffiti was found in the men’s restroom of the Cesar E. Chavez building, 1110 E. James E. Rogers Way, Sept. 28, reports stated.

A “”fish”” and “”hi”” were written in black marker at an unknown time and date.

The graffiti matches another case, however this incident occurred inside a building and was done with marker.

There is no suspect in the case.

A student’s $200 bike was stolen from the southeast bike rack of the Life Sciences North building, 1333 N. Martin Ave., Sept. 27, reports stated.

Sometime between 9 a.m. and 6:40 p.m. the U-lock that secured the light blue bike to the rack was forcibly removed. A concrete form bar was left on the ground next to the twisted-off lock and the owner’s helmet.

Police placed the bar and lock into evidence.

Police were called to a civil dispute over the use of a CatCard at Hopi Lodge Residence Hall, 1440 E. Fourth St., Sept. 26, reports stated.

A male student used a female student’s CatCard after he found it in his dorm room. The card was in the possession of his roommate who had been given it by a residence assistant to return to the woman.

The woman owed the man money for driving her to the airport. She was not able to pay him at the time because she was waiting for money to come through. He thought it would be okay to use the card because he was owed money.

When the woman returned to the dorms, the man’s roommate thanked her for lunch.

She checked her CatCard statement online and found $17.18 in charges to McDonald’s and Panda Express. She asked the male student where her card was and he denied that he had it.

The woman called police to settle the dispute. She said that she wanted him to know that what he was doing was wrong, but did not want to press charges.

The man gave the card to the police and said that he realized he was wrong after he made the purchases.

An employee called police after finding a hole in the ceiling of a room in McClelland Hall, 1130 E. Helen St., Sept. 25, reports stated.

The woman said she called police after seeing the damage because things had been stolen from the room in the past year.

Police called the grounds manager to notify him of the damage.

The grounds manager told police that fire and safety were working on the crawl space and an employee had damaged the ceiling during the work.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu