Police Beat

Fighting for cab fare costs far more

Two men were taken to the Pima County Jail on April 25 at 1:52 p.m.

Police responded to the north parking lot of the Sky View

Residence Hall in reference to a man who was unable to pay his taxi cab fare. When police arrived they made contact with the man and the cab driver.

The cab driver told the officer that at approximately 1:15 p.m. he picked the man up from Breakers Water Park, 8555 W. Tangerine Rd. The man asked the driver to take him to Sky View but said that he would not be able to pay until he got there because he did not have his wallet. There, the man said, he would be able to get into his car where his wallet was. The driver said that when they arrived to the parking lot the man noticed that his car was missing. He later remembered that he gave his car keys and cell phone to one of his friends who may have driven the vehicle to the water park.

The man was disoriented and smelt of intoxicants. He swayed while speaking with officers, had a difficult time keeping his balance and had red, watery eyes. The man admitted to having approximately seven shots of vodka in a friend’s dorm room. He refused to provide police with the name of the person who furnished the alcohol.

The man told police that when he arrived at the water park he was refused admission because of his level of intoxication. That is when he got into the cab and asked for a ride back to the dorm where he promised to pay his fare.

The man told police that he knew it was against the law for him to drink because he was not 21.

Police called the man’s mother who paid for her son’s taxi fare over the phone using her credit card. The man was arrested and taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Police also ran a check of the taxi driver’s name. When they did, they were told that he had three misdemeanor criminal warrants out for his arrest from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office for failing to comply with a court order.

The warrants were confirmed and the man was placed under arrest. He was transported to the Pima County Jail and booked for his warrants. He requested that his vehicle be moved and the keys released to his son later in the day.

Disorderly drunk tries to deck police

A woman was arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol and disorderly conduct on April 29 at 8:16 p.m.

While on patrol at the Last Smash Platinum Bash, police noticed that Tucson Fire Department was attending to a woman who was showing signs of intoxication on Fourth Street just west of Cherry Avenue.

Police approached the scene and asked TFD if they would help. They were told that the woman was intoxicated and they were there to check her welfare.

Police made contact with the woman. She had extremely slurred speech and was being supported by a man in order to keep her from falling. Her eyes were watery and she smelt of intoxicants. When asked for her ID, the woman said that she had none even though she had a purse in her possession. Police asked her if the man could get it for her. She pulled her wallet out and handed it to the man. After looking, the man said that he could not find any ID, so he handed the wallet to police. They found her CatCard, but when they asked her what her birthday was she would not answer.

Police advised her that because of the level of her intoxication, TFD personnel wished to check her to make sure she was OK. During their talk with her, the man left.

TFD began to assess the woman, but she became increasingly belligerent and vulgar, resisting efforts by TFD to evaluate her condition. More than once she was told what was being done, but she did not seem to comprehend due to her level of intoxication. She demanded that she be told what was being done and why before she would let TFD evaluate her, even though they told her multiple times.

At one point during her interview, the woman began yelling “”Fuck you, bitch”” and flipped off a person who was walking by the scene.

Police and TFD told the woman to calm down and cooperate, but she continued to yell, using the word “”fuck”” in almost every sentence directed toward TFD and University of Arizona Police Department personnel.

The woman then began flailing her arms, almost hitting TFD personnel. Police took control of the woman’s arms to prevent her from hitting anyone. They asked her to calm down and cooperate. She calmed down briefly and allowed TFD to continue evaluating her. She suddenly became very vocal and physically resistive, attempting to take a swing at a TFD worker.

Police took control of her arms and attempted to handcuff her. She continued to resist police by tensing up her arm so that she could not be handcuffed. Eventually, police applied pressure to her wrist in order to get it in the position so handcuffs could be applied.

The woman then continued to resist by going limp and falling to the side walk. When police tried to get her up, she began to kick her legs, hitting an officer. While police tried to walk her to the car to be transported, she continued to go limp and kick her legs. Police placed her on the ground and neutralized her legs. A hobble was then applied and she was taken to the vehicle.

The woman was transported to the Pima County Jail for being a minor in possession and disorderly conduct. Her belongings were released to her roommate.