Fashion Facts

Sure, choosing outfits in Southern Arizona has its perks come October, when UA students gallivant about campus from class to class with no worries about flooding monsoons or extreme heat.

At the start of the fall semester, however, choosing clothes is a bit tricky due to the scorching high temperatures.

For those who are fashion-forward, dressing to the nines on the first day of school comes with a few drawbacks. Most UA students might agree that stretched out T-shirts, soaking wet with damp spots from backpack sweat, might even prevent them from getting added to that TRAD class (no one likes to reek of b.o. on the first day).

A few students have managed to outsmart the Tucson sun. Sticking to sundresses and shades, here are some students spotted in the Student Union Memorial Center who still look hot despite all the heat.

For Nicole Roger, a pre-communications freshman, the 100-degree temperatures have no effect on her classy style.

“”I want to be comfortable and casual, even in this heat,”” Roger said.

She shops at stores like Pitaya, 943 E. University Blvd., where she bought her brown lightweight dress. She purchased her earrings from a vendor in Costa Rica.

“”It’s so hot out, but I like to look cute for school,”” Roger said.

Crediting her style influences as her parents (which is totally awesome), history freshman Hayley Douglas is adjusting to the agonizing heat. She cinches her gray cotton Anthropologie dress with a subtle black Hermes belt.

“”I would definitely describe my style as bohemian-chic,”” Douglas said.

Douglas is looking forward to winter, when she can sport her favorite orange sweater.

For now, she said she’ll stick to flip-flops.

Communications senior Aaron Barag threw together a beach-like outfit perfect for a late summer day.

“”I’m all about looking good, but staying cool,”” Barag said.

He approaches his style with certain ease, saying he enjoys casual clothes. His lightweight Polo shorts and Yves Saint Laurent sunglasses, purchased at Barney’s in New York, keep out the sun’s rays. For trekking around campus, Barag’s look is appropriate and simple, yet understated.

-Photos by Alan Fullmer