High Tide: A guide to channel surfing

High Tide: A guide to channel surfing

Fox’s newest action drama “”Human Target”” is based on the Vertigo/DC Comic of the same name about private bodyguard Christopher Chance (Mark Valley), and his crime-solving sidekicks, Winston (Chi McBride) and Guerrero (Jackie Earle Haley). Chance seems to have a death wish, risking his own neck for the safety of his clients, who require protection from stealthy hit men and Armani-clad CEOs.

On Jan. 17, the series premiere follows Chance as he takes on a new client, Stephanie Dobbs (Tricia Helfer), an engineer being targeted by an unknown source. Dobbs is an employee of McNamara Engineering, a company that has just finished building a high-speed train along the coast of California. Chance has a feeling that the person targeting Dobbs is going to make his move during the train’s upcoming maiden voyage. While Chance tags along for a high-speed ride on “”Speed 3: Loose Caboose,”” Winston and Guerrero attempt to learn the identity of Dobbs’ aggressor.

“”Human Target”” is character-driven show, and rightfully so. Valley is a good match for Christopher Chance, but kudos to the producers for the hilarious casting of McBride and Haley. The show is quick-paced, but it often cuts back to Winston and Guerrero for moments of comedy. Just the sight of McBride, at a towering 6-foot-4, standing next to Haley, at a squirrelly 5-foot-5, is enough for a laugh. If the mere height difference isn’t enough, the characters’ quick banter is also responsible for the show’s best-written moments.

The pilot episode sets up the characters well, but the series’ second episode, “”Rewind,”” kickstarts the style and tone that the show will supposedly be utilizing throughout its run. The editing is more stylish and unique, using time-jumping elements to the plot’s advantage. The storyline, which places Chance on a commercial airliner with a disastrous destination, is much less predictable than the pilot. An actual line of dialogue from Chance’s mouth: “”I’m going to flip the plane.”” Chance is constantly managing to stay one step ahead of everything, including physics. But that’s the fun of the show. It may take itself seriously, but you should watch with a sense of humor.

“”Human Target”” premieres Sunday at 6 p.m. on FOX with a repeat of the pilot on Tuesday at 8 p.m. The second episode, airing Jan. 20, puts the show in its regular timeslot on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. after “”American Idol.””

Recommended for those who enjoy: “”Burn Notice,”” “”Leverage,”” “”24″” and “”Prison Break.””

Wednesday, Jan. 13

American Idol (Second night of a two-night premiere),  ABC, 7 p.m.

If you didn’t know already, the vast majority of Americans are awful singers. Need proof? Tune in for the second night of American Idol’s ninth season premiere.

Why you should watch: Personally, I can’t wait for Ellen DeGeneres to join the judges’ table. How contructive will she be? Will she go more for Cowell’s style: “”That was atrocious!””? Maybe she’ll judge more like Randy Jackson: “”Yo, dawg. You’re da bomb.”” My guess is she’ll dance awkwardly until the singer leaves the room.

Thursday, Jan. 14

Project Runway, Lifetime, 9 p.m.

Sixteen eccentric designers with overdramatic tendencies battle it out with needle and thread.

Why you should watch: The show is back in New York City, the contestants look promising and judges Nina Garcia and Michael Kors have signed on to appear in every episode this season.

Friday, Jan. 15

Law and Order, NBC, 7 p.m.

A dead body is found, a few police officers with New York accents round up a suspect and a district attorney convinces the suspect to confess in front of a courtroom filled with underpaid extras.

Why you should watch: The show is in its 20th season. That’s a lot of dead bodies.

Saturday, Jan. 16

Saturday Night Live, NBC, 10:30 p.m.

Sigourney Weaver hosts with musical guest the Ting Tings.

Why you should watch: If Saturday is the new opposite day, this show is hilarious.

Sunday, Jan. 17

24 (First night of a two-night premiere), Fox, 8 p.m.

Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland), a man of extreme action, is back to kick ass and take names in the show’s eighth season premiere.

Why you should watch: Sutherland stayed sober enough to shoot this episode.

Show your gratitude by tuning in.

Monday, Jan. 18

Life Unexpected (series premiere), CW, 8 p.m.

15-year-old Lux (Britt Robertson) decides to become an emancipated minor after years of living as a foster child. During her journey through the legal system, she comes across her biological parents. Although they are no longer together, Lux’s parents decide to take her in and give her a chance at the life she deserves.

Why you should watch: It’s being compared to “”Gilmore Girls,”” but the promos are showing more melodrama than witty banter. Perhaps it showcases a good balance between the two. Watch to find out.

Tuesday, Jan. 19

The Biggest Loser: Couples, NBC, 7 p.m.

In this week’s episode, the eight remaining teams are broken up into students and teachers. The teachers must learn an exercise routine from Jillian and Bob, then teach the students what they’ve learned. Drama and extreme weight loss ensue.

Why you should watch: Just one episode is enough to make your feet grow running shoes.