Preview: Shakespeare gets reinvented for students

Shakespeare weaseled his way into the Arizona Repertory Theatre’s lineup this season.

“”Love’s Labour’s Lost”” is the story of a king and three of his lords who decide to devote three years of their lives to studying. To ensure complete scholastic focus, they swear off women. Nevertheless, when a princess comes to visit with three of her ladies, the men all break their oaths as they each fall in love.

Although each manmale attempts to hide his newfound romantic interest, secrets eventually come out, and together they make plans to woo the ladies.

The “”Love’s Labour’s Lost”” playing at Tornabene Theatre this October is a little different from the traditional Shakespeare story.

“”We wanted to bring ‘Love’s Labour’ into a more modern feeling, because the script itself isn’t that accessible to a modern day audience,”” said scenic designer Katie Alvord CQ KATIE ALVORD, a third-year scenic design graduate student. “”We really wanted to make it more accessible to people in today’s culture.””

Instead of a king and a princess, the roles are replaced by the most popular boy and girl at an all-boys and an all-girls prep school.

Regardless of the time period, Patrick Roberts, a musical theatre senior who plays the king, attests that Shakespeare’s play is timeless.

“”You look into these characters and you realize that the way they behave is not so much different than we behave today,”” Roberts said.

Love’s Labour’s Lost
    Tornabene Theatre
    Oct. 12 – Nov. 2.
    Tickets: $19 for students, $28 general.
    Tickets for the Oct. 12 preview performance are $17.
    Box office: 621-1162