Devil Bones reads like devil’s spawn

“”Devil Bones”” by Kathy Reichs is the 11th book about Temperance Brennan in the series that inspired the television show “”Bones.””

I’ve never seen the show, but I can’t imagine they’re very similar. “”Devil Bones”” takes the worst parts from sketchy thrillers – a stereotypical fat cop, speedy oneliners and a lone female worker – to illustrate the entire novel.

The plot is a typical murder mystery, revolving around constant new suspects, a complex love triangle for Brennan and the usual innocent witchcraft followers versus right-wing nuts. The story begins with Brennan trying to trace a skull found in a basement, but following a complex goose chase, it ends with several unnecessary murders and no real judgment.

It’s not all bad in that Reichs is a real-life forensic anthropologist and is able to really connect some gruesome scenes. It also means, however, that she throws in too much technical jargon and goes too in-depth on topics such as the history of her town or in several instances when she describes how you can tell how old a bone is.

Plus – I kid you not – every single chapter ends with a sudden, gripping cliffhanger that is generally left unsatisfied. It was aggravating, much like the rest of the book.