Police Beat

Five students were arrested for minors in possession around 1 a.m. April 14 at the corner of East First Street and North Vine Avenue.

The officer spotted the group of students walking down the street and noticed all of them appeared to be walking in a staggering manner.

One of the 19-year-old male students tripped over his feet and nearly fell.

When the officer asked to speak to them, he observed an 18-year-old male put a bag he was carrying on the ground.

The students identified themselves as under 21. The third male was 18 years old, a female student was 20 years old and the other female student was 18 years old.

The officer asked the male student to pick the bag back up and show it to the officer. Inside, he found a handle of Popov Vodka that was about one-third full and a bag of wine from a box of white wine about one-fourth full.

All five students had red, watery, bloodshot eyes and smelled of alcohol. The 19-year-old male insisted on being given the chance to blow on an Intoxilyzer.

The officer had one in his vehicle and gave the student the test, which demonstrated the presence of alcohol.

All five students were cited and released for minor in possession in the body. The student carrying the bag was given a second possession charge for possession of alcohol.

A student was diverted to the dean of students around 2 a.m. April 14 after a detective making rounds in Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall, 1010 N. Park Ave., smelled burning marijuana.

The 20-year-old was in his room at Manzanita-Mohave when the detective knocked on the door.

The detective asked the student if he could come inside and speak to him. The student said yes, stepped outside, and shut the door.

The detective asked if anyone else was in the room and the student said a bunch of his friends were.

The student then allowed the detective to go inside the room to talk to his friends per police request.

The detective said he could smell marijuana and asked where it was.

“”OK, I have,”” the student said. He walked over to his desk, scooped a small amount off the desktop into his hands, and tried to hand it to the detective.

The detective got a piece of paper and had him place the marijuana on the paper.

The student said he owned the marijuana and he was the only one who was going to smoke it.

The detective explained the diversion program to the student and left so the resident assistants could speak to him.

A tree planter outside the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., was found vandalized around 8:30 a.m. April 14.

The planter was located on the southwest side of the garage in the walkway of the Student Union.

In yellow spray paint, an unknown person painted “”Karlyn”” on the side. The lettering was about 15 inches tall and 36 inches wide.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police responded to a call around 6 p.m. April 14 from a student’s mother who was concerned about her daughter who lives at Sky View Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St.

The mother was concerned about her daughter’s recent headaches.

When police arrived the student was shaking uncontrollably, light-headed, and unable to stand. The student could not remember the day of the week or the state she was in.

Another student, one of the victim’s friends, told police she had been having headaches for the past month and problems keeping her balance.

On April 12, the student passed out in Spanish class and then later vomited in Bible study.

The friend had taken her to the hospital on April 13 and the hospital had released her on the morning of April 14.

An ambulance arrived and transported the student to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu