Camp Wildcat to hold benefit concert at Congress

Repetitive, raucous and ridiculous: The songs kids learn at summer camp are pretty unforgettable. This Thursday night, Jakob Martin, Tucson band Overcast Off and Phoenix native Anthony Schaan will take to the stage at Club Congress to keep those kids hiking and roasting marshmallows.

The concert, which starts at 6 p.m., is a benefit concert for the UA’s Camp Wildcat.

“”The goal of Camp Wildcat is to help underprivileged youth obtain their goals,”” said Natalie Lucas, co-director for this year’s Annual Camp Wildcat Benefit Concert. The program provides opportunities for financially, mentally or physically disadvantaged youth to participate in weekend and adventure camps, and to help them see college as an attainable goal.

Martin, the headlining artist for the event, has fond memories of his experiences in day camp as a child.

“”When I was a kid I went to day camp, and I was fortunate enough to be able to do that,”” he said.

Martin describes his sound as a hybrid of acoustic and soul. His mom brought home his first musical instrument, a guitar, from a garage sale when he was three years old.

“”I think I wrote a song, actually, when I was three,”” Martin said. “”That was my first song, and I’ve been writing ever since.””

Camp Wildcat is a nonprofit organization, and events like the benefit concert help to ensure that the program stays free for Tucson community youth.

Martin said he is looking forward to being part of the cause.

“”Having a reason changes the mentality of the audience,”” he said. “”If anything, it always makes the concert more fun, because everybody’s there to do a good thing. People are more ready to have a good time; they feel good about themselves and about the cause.””

Concertgoers should expect that good vibe, along with an eclectic mix of Martin’s acoustic soul, Overcast Off’s self-described “”electric folk music that doesn’t sound like folk music”” and Schaan’s powerful alternative rock. These vastly different artists are united by their commitment to making an impression and a difference.

“”The program really makes a difference in our community. You’ll see the kids around Tucson occasionally and they just wave hi and are so excited to see you,”” Lucas said. “”It’s a really awesome feeling.””