Old Main Bell Stolen In Prank

March 31, 1965

Pranksters have struck again on the University campus — the Old Main bell has been stolen.

The belel, which originally hung in the belfry of Old Main and was used to call early-morning students to class, was taken sometimes during th past weekend. It was replaced with a tiny silver bell tired on a string.

Cadet 2nd Lt. Mike Groves, Air Force ROTC officer of the day on Monday, said, “”We don’t know yet who took it, or how they got into the building. All we know is that they took it sometimes since Friday night.””

Taken from Display Case

The display case that housed the bell is in the center of the upper floor of Old Main. The bottom half is wood and fastened to the floor. The top section is glass with metal supports and joints.

To get to the bell, the pranksters had to remove several screws and left off the top of the case.

Robert L. Houston, director of the physical plant said, “”We are investigating this case thoroughly. We don’t know who it is yet, but we do have some clues.””

Houston Call It Prank

“”I feel that is is a prank,”” he said, “”and the bell will show up soon.””

A number of ROTC cadets voiced the opinions that the theft was the result of a campus prank, while pothers placed the blame on The University’s traditional rivalry with Arizona Stat University.

Others felt the theft was prompted by the increasing ill feelings toward the campus compulsory military program.