Gymcats kick off season in McKale

The No. 12 Arizona gymnastics team tangled with a pair of wolves, but emerged victorious after defeating No. 25 North Carolina State and Alaska-Anchorage in McKale Center Friday.

The Wildcats (2-0) won the tri-team meet with 194.100 points, with the NC State Wolfpack (1-1) placing second with 192.350, and the UA-A Seawolves (0-2) bringing up the rear with 187.725.

“”It was a very good start to the season,”” Bill Ryden, Arizona head coach said. “”(Gymnastics) is a performance sport, and was good for us to get off to a good start. Overall they were great; they started like gangbusters, but tightened up at the end, which is something we’ll have to work on.””

Arizona had the lead after each rotation and had a gymnast win or tie in three of the four events.

Junior Breanne Workman tied for first on the vault with a score of 9.850, and highly touted freshman Colleen Fisher finished fourth in her collegiate debut with 9.800.

“”She was great,”” Ryden said of Fisher. “”As a freshman, you never know what to expect, and to get a 9.8 in her first meet is great.””

Senior All-American Karin Wurm led Arizona with individual victories in both the uneven bars, with a meet-high score of 9.875, and in the floor exercise with a 9.800, despite having a leg injury.

“”We actually had to back her off the leg events,”” Ryden said. “”We didn’t want to cause a leg fracture, because she is an All-American in the all-around. But she is a rock solid competitor.””

All three teams struggled on the balance beam, and the Gymcats overcame two falls to still place three gymnasts in the top five.

Alexis Greene, in her first action since 2006 after missing the last season due to a ruptured Achilles, placed no worse than seventh in all four events and won the all-around title with 38.800, with teammate Miranda Russell placing second with 38.425.

“”She has worked tirelessly to get back to form,”” Ryden said of Greene. “”She never quit and really helped the team. I’m really proud of her and for her.””

Ryden believes that his team can be even better later in the season.

“”We’re trying to get fully healthy,”” he said. “”As the team starts to gel, we can have even better results in February and March. The team showed a lot of positive signs.””