Police Beat

A man was arrested after the car in which he was riding was stopped for speeding and making an improper turn Aug. 10.

After running records checks on everyone in the vehicle, the officer discovered that the rear passenger had a misdemeanor warrant involving criminal damage. Police confirmed the warrant, arrested the man and transported him to Pima County Jail.

Because the driver had no license, his vehicle was impounded. He was issued a civil citation and released at the scene.

A man led an officer on a chase with his bicycle Aug. 10 after police noticed he matched the description of a man wanted for attempted sexual assault earlier that week.

Police noticed the man after he rode a black mountain bike against the flow of traffic near North Mountain Avenue and East Second Street, running a red light before getting back onto the westbound sidewalk.

Police drove up to the man, rolled down his window and asked him to pull over. The man looked at the officer while pedaling and said, “”No,”” according to reports. The officer then shouted in Spanish, “”Alta, policia!”” (stop, police). The man started pedaling faster. The officer began to chase him, lost track of him for a few minutes and then found him riding his bike without his shirt on at the west side of the School of Information Resources and Library Science, 1515 E. First St.

Backup officers arrived and arrested the man, who had no identification but said he was from Veracruz, Mexico. He was turned over to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Police stopped a red Dodge truck on North Euclid Avenue and East University Boulevard at around 2:50 a.m., after a records
    check reported it as stolen.

An officer followed the vehicle into a driveway at 509 E. Linden St. and stopped the driver, telling her to exit the vehicle and put her hands up. The woman did so and said she knew why the officer was following her.

She told the officer she didn’t know her vehicle was stolen and said her ex-boyfriend and his friend gave her the car. She said they had her car, and she’d only been driving the stolen vehicle to get to work for the past four or five days. She said one of them men agreed to exchange the cars on Aug. 6 but never showed up.

Police dispatch advised the officer that the woman had three outstanding warrants. The officer arrested the woman and transported her to Pima County Jail.

A man was caught with a fictitious license plate on his car Aug. 7 after a records check revealed the plate to be
    suspended.

Police ran a check on a white Honda Civic around midnight on North Campbell Avenue near East Speedway Boulevard, discovered
    the vehicle’s plate was suspended and pulled it over.

The man told police he knew that was why he was being stopped and said, “”I want to be honest, I don’t have a good license,””

according to reports. Police confirmed his license was suspended and found that the man had been convicted for driving with a suspended license on six previous occasions.

Police thanked the man for being honest and told him he can’t be driving. The man said he knew that but had to take his friend home. He told the officer he took the plate off of his other Civic. Even though he knew it was illegal, he “”didn’t think it was that big of a deal,”” according to reports.

The vehicle was impounded, the fictitious plate placed into police evidence and the man was released at the scene.

A man was arrested for DUI on North Campbell Avenue and East Spring Street at 1:50 a.m. Aug. 8 after police noticed him speeding.

As an officer approached the driver’s door, he smelled a strong odor of intoxicants. When the man asked the officer if everything was OK, his speech was slurry and his eyes were red and watery.

When the officer asked the man for his license and registration, the man looked in his wallet and passed his license twice before handing it to the officer. The passenger handed the driver some paperwork, which included the registration. The man set the registration on his lap, apparently not noticing it was there, as he fumbled through the rest of the paperwork.

When the officer asked the man if he had anything to drink, he said, “”Yes, about four beers. I’m not going to lie to you, officer,”” according to reports.

The officer asked the man to step out of the car and told him he was going to conduct three field sobriety tests to determine if he should be driving his vehicle. The man said, “”I’ll do what you want me to.””

The officer observed signs of impairment as the man performed the tests and told him he was under arrest for driving under the influence.

The man was transported to UAPD, where he was given two breathalyzer tests. The results were 0.187 and 0.199. The man was cited, and his vehicle was impounded.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at
    www.uapd.arizona.edu.