Candidate expo launches races for ASUA positions

Candidates running for student government casually shook hands and talked with students face-to-face on the UA Mall yesterday, the first day of official campaigning.

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Associated Students of the University of Arizona candidates talked to each other, introduced themselves to students and answered questions from passers-by during the ASUA Candidate Expo.

“”It’s pretty relaxed when the expo starts,”” said Sen. Pita Salido, who has participated in ASUA elections and campaigned for the past three years.

But Salido, one of three administrative vice presidential candidates, said candidates should make sure students know what the heart of the campaign is.

“”I think people need to realize they’re not running for themselves, they’re running for the program,”” Salido said.

Ronald Tang, a molecular and cellular biology sophomore, said he would vote in the election but wants to hear what candidates have to offer before he can make an educated decision.

Candidates will give brief speeches and platform statements on the stage near James E. Rogers Circle near North Mountain Avenue on Monday at noon.

“”It’s going to get heated. It’s all about the work you put in. The more you put into it, the more you’ll see,”” said Sen. Patrick Cook, an executive vice presidential candidate.

Cook said he wants students to walk away with a sense of his dedication to student leadership after talking to him.

“”We did lots of prior planning. Now that we’re in momentum, it’s really intense,”” said Sen. Rhonda Tubbs who is running for executive vice president in tandem with presidential candidate Matt Van Horn. “”You just have to make sure you follow the rules,”” Tubbs said.

Jami Reinsch, an administrative vice presidential candidate who is campaigning with presidential candidate Erin Hertzog, said alliances between candidates would help students associate names with the candidates.

“”We need to campaign as hard as everyone else,”” said Steven Gerner, a candidate for ASUA senate.

Gerner said he was unable to organize people to post fliers early yesterday morning, but he would try to focus his campaign by interacting with students in person.

Passer-by David Martinez III said he will “”definitely”” vote in the upcoming ASUA elections.

“”Since there are a lot of great candidates running, I’m looking for candidates who stick to the issues,”” said Martinez, a secondary education junior. “”I know when you get a good group of folks in there, good things happen.””

Martinez said he thinks candidates’ main priority should be to restore student faith in ASUA because of this year’s “”scandals and firings.””

“”There should be greater student involvement with the administration, especially with the new president,”” Martinez said. “”Nobody knows how to deal with issues that affect students better than students.””

To David McMullan, a physiology junior, class availability and faculty shortages within his major are the key issues that ASUA should improve.

Candidates’ platforms, personal biographies, general election and campaign information can be accessed at http://elections.asua.arizona.edu.