Arizona football legend Tedy Bruschi joins football staff as senior adviser

Alexander Plaumann

Former University of Arizona football star, and three time Super Bowl champion Tedy Bruschi meets and signs autographs for fans. Bruschi had a luncheon to celebrate his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame at the Double Tree Hotel Tucson at Reid Park on Friday.

Former Arizona football linebacker Tedy Bruschi has officially been announced in a part-time role on the Arizona football team’s staff. The job title is as a senior adviser to head coach Jedd Fisch. 

Bruschi was a two-time All-American in 1994 and 1995, a Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year in 1995 at Arizona and has served as an NFL analyst at ESPN since his retirement from football in 2009.

“Arizona Football just got better today by the addition of another College Football Hall of Famer, New England Patriots Hall of Famer and Arizona Football Ring of Honor member to our staff,” Fisch said in a statement. “Tedy Bruschi represents everything we want from our student-athletes. He knows what it takes to do things right on and off the field and has demonstrated success in all facets of life throughout the years. Tedy is a true friend and ally who understands what it takes to win; respect accountability, selflessness, and enthusiasm. Tedy has always been the best at what he does, and this is another opportunity to bring greatness to our entire program. I want to welcome Tedy and his family back to Tucson. It’s Personal!” 

RELATED: ‘It’s personal’: The meaning behind Arizona football’s new motto

The position entails Bruschi acting as a member of the executive football management team, as well as being a consultant for the entire football staff. Some other areas where Bruschi will also be helping are assisting in alumni relations, fundraising, social justice initiatives and student-athlete development off the field.

“I am very excited to re-establish my connection to the Arizona Football program,” Bruschi said in a statement. “Coach Fisch, and his vision for the program, is the main reason for my new level of involvement. I look forward to assisting Coach Fisch and the program in any way I can as we develop the next generations of Wildcats who are purposeful, resilient and original. Bear Down!”

Bruschi’s legacy at the University of Arizona is that of one of the best football players in the history of the program. He is one of only four Wildcats to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and is the third Hall of Famer to join the staff, along with Chuck Cecil and Ricky Hunley.

Bruschi ended his college career in 1995 with 52 sacks, which was tied for the most in the history of the NCAA at the time. He is most notable as a key figure in the notorious “Desert Swarm” defense that was a fixture for the Arizona teams of the late ’80s and through the ’90s.

Bruschi also was with the New England Patriots for 13 seasons, after being drafted in 1996. He won three Super Bowls, and went to one Pro Bowl in 2004 and also won the Comeback Player of the Year in 2005, after his recovery from having a stroke. In 2009, Bruschi retired and has been with ESPN ever since. He also became good friends with Arizona State head coach Herm Edwards while at the desk.

Follow Jake Faigus on Twitter