An eccentric ‘Two Dancers’

Wild Beasts’ latest album Two Dancers, released in September 2009 under London’s Domino Record Co. label, is a dramatic pop opera that takes listeners on an acoustically exciting, though sometimes frightening adventure. The Kendal, England-based musicians have found a way to defy mainstream sound in a way that is, overall, extremely catchy and enticing — although at times, sexually-charged lyrics mixed with vocalist Hayden Thorpe’s falsetto leave listeners a little uneasy.

The first track, “”The Fun Powder Plot,”” is a powerfully poppy opener that is dance-club ready. Thorpe’s falsetto sounds less creepy and more enticing over a low-key bass, a punchy drum set and echoing guitar. The song is surprisingly kinky — he sneaks up on you, and before you even know it he’s mixing lyrics about political dissent with sexual innuendo in a way that is deliciously unsettling.

Other notable tracks include “”All the King’s Men,”” which mixes falsetto and midrange vocals with choral harmonies akin to ’80s-era David Bowie. “”We Still Got the Taste Dancing On Our Tongues”” is an ode to the beauty of chaotic youth, mixing highly stylized lyrics with a catchy, danceable baseline/drumbeat. “”Two Dancers II”” gives the album a little more versatility, using less falsetto and more midrange vocals, and mixed with very ethereal guitar and synth loops.

Overall, it’s hard to hate Wild Beasts — it’s infectiously catchy, and addictive to listen to. But it’s easy to forget about them. Thorpe’s saccharine vocals in tracks like “”Underbelly”” and “”When I’m Sleepy”” err on the side of creepiness. Listening to what sounds like a strange old woman crooning lascivious lyrics is often akin to auditory molestation. The good tracks definitely out rule the bad, however, and all the media hype isn’t just a bunch of rabid U.K. “”Hooting & Howling,”” as a track from Two Dancers would say. 

Sounds Like: David Bowie and The Smiths had a lovechild, and it was going to art school.