Police beat: Aug. 9-22

Man busted for stealing sunglasses

On Aug. 5 at approximately 5:30 p.m., after using the restroom at the Circle K at 977 E. Speedway Blvd., a University of Arizona Police Department officer observed a female clerk looking out the door of the store at an individual. The officer said he overheard the clerk state, “”Yep, he took it,”” while pointing at a sunglass rack.

The officer confronted the store clerk and was told that a man had just taken two pairs of sunglasses from the rack. The officer ran to the man who was about to cross Speedway Boulevard, and instructed him to stop. The officer reported that the man was cooperative and stated that he had taken something from the store. The UAPD officer accompanied the man back to the Circle K where two pairs of Playa Del Rey Sunglasses were returned.

The officer reported that the Circle K clerk wanted to press charges, and cited and released the subject for shoplifting.

A criminal nuisance

A UAPD officer observed a man at the bus bench on Park Avenue north of Speedway Boulevard urinating on the bench on Aug. 5 at 10:20 p.m. The UAPD officer made contact with the individual and noted that the man had urinated down his pants. In addition, the officer noticed urine all over the bus bench and ground.

According to the police report, the UAPD officer performed a records check on the individual in question, and discovered that the man had three confirmed misdemeanor warrants from the Tucson Police Department. The warrants were for failure to appear on charges of interfering with judicial proceedings and liquor violations.

The man was placed under arrest and transported by the officer to Pima County Jail, where he was booked for public nuisance and the three confirmed warrants.

Laptop disappears from locked room

A woman called UAPD on Aug. 5 at 3:50 p.m. to report that her laptop and black sleeve case were stolen from the Family and Consumer Sciences Building, 1110 E. South Campus Dr.

The woman said that the last time she had seen the laptop had been on the previous day in her office. According to the police report, the woman said she had left her office many times throughout the day and had locked it before going home in the evening. When she returned to her office on Aug. 5 around 9 a.m., she realized the laptop had been stolen.

She said the door was still locked from the night before. The woman described the laptop as being a 2005 Dell Latitude 110L. Both items had been issued to her by the UA.

Victim’s Rights forms were mailed to both the UA and the woman. There are currently no suspects or witnesses in the case.