OPINION: Out of state tuition, is it worth it?

Student Affairs & Enrollment Management / Academic Initiatives & Student Success

Freshman at the 2017 Bigger Better Bash with Wilbur Wildcat.

When it is time for a student to decide where they are going to attend the next few years of their life, the cost is usually an important deciding factor. According to the University of Arizona’s scholarship and financial aid website, out-of-state tuition for the 2019-2020 school year is $36,600. That is just the cost for tuition alone, so many people may ask, is the UA worth the out-of-state cost? 

Personally, I am an out-of-state student, so I believe the cost is worth it. The UA excels in many different programs, from the astronomy program to Eller College of Management. Being a part of the School of Journalism the last three years has opened up new opportunities to help better my career, in part thanks to an advisor dedicated to helping students apply and find internships and jobs that are best suited for them.

RELATED: UA salsa club opens the floor for new members

If you are the type of person who can handle triple-digit weather, the UA may be just the place for you. Tucson is a college town, so almost everything revolves around the university. This allows being away from home a little bit easier.

According to the UA’s website, there are over 100 majors to choose from, with some of the most popular being business, management, biomedical sciences and health-focused majors. The university also has a wide range of graduate programs, including the James E. Rogers College of Law, the Eller College of Management and the College of Medicine. 

I have had a wonderful experience at the UA these past four years and I recommend it to anyone that has this school as an option. 

RELATED: Protesters call for the removal of professor over homophobic comments

There are so many ways to get involved on campus — from Greek life to the hundreds of different clubs. For me, getting involved on campus was joining the Daily Wildcat, where I was able to do what I love and be surrounded by people who share the same passion I do. `

If you are in a financial position to be able to pay the out-of-state tuition price, my advice is to go for it! There are also many different scholarship opportunities that students can apply for, as well as grants that are awarded to some students. I also suggest to everyone I know: If you can go out-of-state for college, go. You get a chance to live in a different state for a short period of time. You also have the chance to leave a place you may have lived your whole life and can get outside of your comfort zone.

Follow Janelle Ash @_janellekyla